RE: [Sartre] Re: Gegendienst

  • Ian Buick
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 8, 2007
      "There is no book of Mark Poster, as you put it, "calledSartre's Marxism".
      I'm not sure where you live, but there are copies available on all the Amazon sites I visited - in the UK from �4.99 and in France for 12 Euros: for example:

      http://www.amazon.fr/Sartres-Marxism-Mark-Poster/dp/0521245591/ref=sr_1_3/402-6627516-3960941?ie=UTF8&s=english-books&qid=1186556698&sr=8-3
      The book is interesting to me because it offers a critique of the Critique from a marxist perspective (albeit with Trotskyist leanings) with a useful summary of the main arguments.

      The other Poster book you mentioned "Existential Marxism in Postwar France: from Sartre to Althuser." can be downloaded for FREE !!!! along withFoucault, Marxism and History

      and
      Baudrillard: Selected Writings (first edition)

      Just follow this link : http://www.humanities.uci.edu/mposter/
      I think a big thank should go to Mark for making this available for free.

      Enjoyed the schertz on the last name by the way. I suppose I was pre-determined to be an auto-didact.

      Ian Buick

      To: Sartre@yahoogroups.comFrom: cepav0@...: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:12:54 -0700Subject: RE: [Sartre] Re: Gegendienst

      > All I was doing was recommending a book By MarkPoster called Sartre's Marxism as a 'Gegenleistung'for you supplying me with references to those authorswho have done things in a more systematic way than>Sartre.That is why I was asking whether there was a typo inyour tip. Because I ran as fast as I could to findthat writing, but it doesnt exist apparently. There isno book of Mark Poster, as you put it, "calledSartre's Marxism". There is one titled ExistentialMarxism in Postwar France: from Sartre to Althuser.I am still not convinced that I am not talking here toone and the same user. But I'm taking my chances.Said in parantheses, though, I am more than justifiedin thinking I am talking to machines here. We havemore than once been target of pornographic invitationsin this group, by so-called "members" of the group.And pass me the joke, Ian, but your "last" name leadssomehow to thinking that you may be the auto-sophical "Gegenleistung" of those other"so-called members". On a more serious note though, I think that Foucaultis a philosopher whom I know well and from whom, in myopinion, there is much more to gain than from Sartrein the way he expounds historical and powerstructures. Of course, I have to add, for here nothinggoes without saying, that I dont mean Foucault is abetter thinker than Sartre, for each one has his ownoriginality, and there are aspects that are betterthrown a light upon from one or the other.__________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

    • cepav0
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 21, 2007
        The quote below is pretty clear as to the profound relation between
        Sartre's philosophy and violence. The cogito, the generalized cogito,
        is a crime (did I hear Nietzsche somewhere?...):

        La situation veut que la vraie morale humaine prenne naissance dans
        cet acte isolé, purement individuel, de violence purement négative.
        Tentons de le comprendre dans son ambigüité et de légitimer cette
        violence. … en réalisant la liberté terroriste et négative de la pure
        conscience du monde par consomption du monde en face de la
        conscience, l'esclave réalise dans l'instant qui précède la mort
        cette conscience de soi que le stoïcisme, le scepticisme et le doute
        cartésien n'atteignent que dans la fuite et dans l'abstrait. … La
        destruction et le crime sont les conduites concrètes corrélatives du
        doute méthodique. [dans le crime] la conscience s'affirme dans sa
        solitude terroriste. Tout crime est toujours un peu un cogito.
        (Sartre, Cahier 418)

        What the heck, I'm giving it a try at translation:

        "The situation requires that the true human ethics is born out of
        this isolated act [the terrorist one], purely individual, of a purely
        negative violence. Let us try to understand it in its ambiguity and
        to legitimize this violence. ... by accomplishing the terrorist and
        negative freedom of the pure consciousness of the world, the slave
        attains in the instant right before his death to that self-
        consciousness that stoicism, scepticism and cartesian doubt attain to
        only in flight and in the abstract. ... Destruction and crime are the
        concrete behaviour correlative to methodical doubt. [in the crime]
        consciousness affirms itself in its terrorist solitude. All crime is
        always a bit of a cogito."

        Do I agree with this? Oh, not only that, I think these are some of
        the best lines ever writen in philosophy.