RE: [Sartre] Re: Gegendienst

  • sava
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 7, 2007
      > All I was doing was recommending a book By Mark
      Poster called Sartre's Marxism as a 'Gegenleistung'
      for you supplying me with references to those authors
      who have done things in a more systematic way than
      >Sartre.

      That is why I was asking whether there was a typo in
      your tip. Because I ran as fast as I could to find
      that writing, but it doesnt exist apparently. There is
      no book of Mark Poster, as you put it, "called
      Sartre's Marxism". There is one titled Existential
      Marxism in Postwar France: from Sartre to Althuser.

      I am still not convinced that I am not talking here to
      one and the same user. But I'm taking my chances.

      Said in parantheses, though, I am more than justified
      in thinking I am talking to machines here. We have
      more than once been target of pornographic invitations
      in this group, by so-called "members" of the group.
      And pass me the joke, Ian, but your "last" name leads
      somehow to thinking that you may be
      the auto-sophical "Gegenleistung" of those other
      "so-called members".

      On a more serious note though, I think that Foucault
      is a philosopher whom I know well and from whom, in my
      opinion, there is much more to gain than from Sartre
      in the way he expounds historical and power
      structures. Of course, I have to add, for here nothing
      goes without saying, that I dont mean Foucault is a
      better thinker than Sartre, for each one has his own
      originality, and there are aspects that are better
      thrown a light upon from one or the other.

    • cepav0
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 21, 2007
        The quote below is pretty clear as to the profound relation between
        Sartre's philosophy and violence. The cogito, the generalized cogito,
        is a crime (did I hear Nietzsche somewhere?...):

        La situation veut que la vraie morale humaine prenne naissance dans
        cet acte isolé, purement individuel, de violence purement négative.
        Tentons de le comprendre dans son ambigüité et de légitimer cette
        violence. … en réalisant la liberté terroriste et négative de la pure
        conscience du monde par consomption du monde en face de la
        conscience, l'esclave réalise dans l'instant qui précède la mort
        cette conscience de soi que le stoïcisme, le scepticisme et le doute
        cartésien n'atteignent que dans la fuite et dans l'abstrait. … La
        destruction et le crime sont les conduites concrètes corrélatives du
        doute méthodique. [dans le crime] la conscience s'affirme dans sa
        solitude terroriste. Tout crime est toujours un peu un cogito.
        (Sartre, Cahier 418)

        What the heck, I'm giving it a try at translation:

        "The situation requires that the true human ethics is born out of
        this isolated act [the terrorist one], purely individual, of a purely
        negative violence. Let us try to understand it in its ambiguity and
        to legitimize this violence. ... by accomplishing the terrorist and
        negative freedom of the pure consciousness of the world, the slave
        attains in the instant right before his death to that self-
        consciousness that stoicism, scepticism and cartesian doubt attain to
        only in flight and in the abstract. ... Destruction and crime are the
        concrete behaviour correlative to methodical doubt. [in the crime]
        consciousness affirms itself in its terrorist solitude. All crime is
        always a bit of a cogito."

        Do I agree with this? Oh, not only that, I think these are some of
        the best lines ever writen in philosophy.