RE: [Sartre] Re: serialization of the group

  • Ian Buick
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 7 1:52 PM
      Sava - (or some evil computer demon) - wrote:

      "I am tending more and more to think that the user towhom I replied before, and this one below, are one andthe same thing."

      My reply:

      Naw, Eric S is better read in philosophy than me!!!!

      I think you're suffering from cyber-solipsism paranoia - or the the Cyberspace equivalent of Berkely's ideas in the mind of Sava. But hey, who knows - this might be a malevolent computer replying to you!!!!!!

      Sava says:
      "I am sorry I cant make out your tip, too many typos, maybe?"
      My attempt at disambiguation:

      This is a typo-cal reply of yours. All I was doing was recommending a book By Mark Poster called Sartre's Marxism as a 'Gegenleistung' for you supplying me with references to those authors who have done things in a more systematic way than Sartre.
      My thanks in advance - HAL ;)
      Ian Buick

      To: Sartre@yahoogroups.comFrom: cepav0@...: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:50:04 -0700Subject: RE: [Sartre] Re: serialization of the group

      I am tending more and more to think that the user towhom I replied before, and this one below, are one andthe same thing. Request for disambiguation.> My reading tip of the day:> Have your read Mark Post-er's 'Sartre's Marxism?'> POSITIVELY riviting. Ian Buick > I am sorry I cant make out your tip, too many typos, maybe?__________________________________________________________Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.http://sims.yahoo.com/

    • cepav0
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 21 7:42 PM
        The quote below is pretty clear as to the profound relation between
        Sartre's philosophy and violence. The cogito, the generalized cogito,
        is a crime (did I hear Nietzsche somewhere?...):

        La situation veut que la vraie morale humaine prenne naissance dans
        cet acte isolé, purement individuel, de violence purement négative.
        Tentons de le comprendre dans son ambigüité et de légitimer cette
        violence. … en réalisant la liberté terroriste et négative de la pure
        conscience du monde par consomption du monde en face de la
        conscience, l'esclave réalise dans l'instant qui précède la mort
        cette conscience de soi que le stoïcisme, le scepticisme et le doute
        cartésien n'atteignent que dans la fuite et dans l'abstrait. … La
        destruction et le crime sont les conduites concrètes corrélatives du
        doute méthodique. [dans le crime] la conscience s'affirme dans sa
        solitude terroriste. Tout crime est toujours un peu un cogito.
        (Sartre, Cahier 418)

        What the heck, I'm giving it a try at translation:

        "The situation requires that the true human ethics is born out of
        this isolated act [the terrorist one], purely individual, of a purely
        negative violence. Let us try to understand it in its ambiguity and
        to legitimize this violence. ... by accomplishing the terrorist and
        negative freedom of the pure consciousness of the world, the slave
        attains in the instant right before his death to that self-
        consciousness that stoicism, scepticism and cartesian doubt attain to
        only in flight and in the abstract. ... Destruction and crime are the
        concrete behaviour correlative to methodical doubt. [in the crime]
        consciousness affirms itself in its terrorist solitude. All crime is
        always a bit of a cogito."

        Do I agree with this? Oh, not only that, I think these are some of
        the best lines ever writen in philosophy.