Re: [Sartre] serialization of the group

  • Eric S
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 3 4:57 AM
      sava,

      This notion of Sartre's serialized group in relation to technology, and specifically the Internet, is a very interesting one. I hadn't really thought about it before in this context. This certainly could be developed further!

      I think you are exaggarating the role of technology in the Internet, however. Certainly, it is pivotal and, without it, none of these conversations can take place, but that doesn't mean a serial group cannot form.

      Consider people queuing up in line to wait for a bus. Certainly without a technological system of roads, public transportation, buses and clocks, this too would be impossible. For humans, technology has always been a presence, a integral part of almost any possible group formation.

      Furthermore, the individuals who make up the "Sartre" group are as unique as Pierre, who is merely playing at being a waiter. In fact, the whole role of performance and play-acting that takes place in the Internet is very germane to Sartre's ontology as a whole, which has always put the imagination at center stage.

      eric

    • cepav0
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 21 7:42 PM
        The quote below is pretty clear as to the profound relation between
        Sartre's philosophy and violence. The cogito, the generalized cogito,
        is a crime (did I hear Nietzsche somewhere?...):

        La situation veut que la vraie morale humaine prenne naissance dans
        cet acte isolé, purement individuel, de violence purement négative.
        Tentons de le comprendre dans son ambigüité et de légitimer cette
        violence. … en réalisant la liberté terroriste et négative de la pure
        conscience du monde par consomption du monde en face de la
        conscience, l'esclave réalise dans l'instant qui précède la mort
        cette conscience de soi que le stoïcisme, le scepticisme et le doute
        cartésien n'atteignent que dans la fuite et dans l'abstrait. … La
        destruction et le crime sont les conduites concrètes corrélatives du
        doute méthodique. [dans le crime] la conscience s'affirme dans sa
        solitude terroriste. Tout crime est toujours un peu un cogito.
        (Sartre, Cahier 418)

        What the heck, I'm giving it a try at translation:

        "The situation requires that the true human ethics is born out of
        this isolated act [the terrorist one], purely individual, of a purely
        negative violence. Let us try to understand it in its ambiguity and
        to legitimize this violence. ... by accomplishing the terrorist and
        negative freedom of the pure consciousness of the world, the slave
        attains in the instant right before his death to that self-
        consciousness that stoicism, scepticism and cartesian doubt attain to
        only in flight and in the abstract. ... Destruction and crime are the
        concrete behaviour correlative to methodical doubt. [in the crime]
        consciousness affirms itself in its terrorist solitude. All crime is
        always a bit of a cogito."

        Do I agree with this? Oh, not only that, I think these are some of
        the best lines ever writen in philosophy.