Re: [Sartre] Posttextual theory and Sartreist existentialism

  • Eric S
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 29, 2007
      ian,

      Where is the quote "Class is a legal fiction" from? This doesn't sound like typical Lyotard to me.

      Lyotard is a very interesting case and the main thrust of his work is very far from Derrida's infamous assertion that there's nothing outside the text, in my opinion.

      Keep in mind, Lyotard's first book was entitled "Phenomenology" and it is a study primarily of Husserl, but he also mentions Sartre several times, usually to criticize him.

      His first major book "Disours, Figure" (unfortunately, still not translated into English) focuses heavily on Merleau-Ponty's phenomenology of perception as well as Freud's theory of the unconscious in order to develop the theory that a certain tension exists between discourse and what he here calls the figural, but which will continue to exist as a theme in his work under various guises, such as the libidinal, tensor, paralogy, the sublime, the differend, the immemorial, the enfans and the intractable.

      It could be argued that Lyotard presents us with an ontology in which one must bear witness to a unarticulated figural condition that escapes discourse, but which as a event opens us up to new possibilities for linking. In many ways I find this offers a very intriguing comparison with Sartre's theory of the neant as the noncoicidence of being as well as Sartre's own ontology in "Being and Nothingness".

      Lyotard also draws heavily on a theory of the performative in his Post-Modern Condition, much as Judith Butler later develops a theory of the performative in relation to gender issues. Sartre, however, especially in his famous description of the waiter as well as in his plays also seems to place the performative as the core of his ontology, recognizing the close symmetry that occurs between ethical acting and stage acting.

      eric

      ibuick <buickian@...> wrote:
      Posttextual theory and Sartreist existentialism
      In the works of Tarantino, a predominant concept is the distinction
      between feminine and masculine. But Marx uses the term `the dialectic
      paradigm of discourse' to denote the dialectic of conceptualist
      society. Finnis holds that we have to choose between expressionism
      and neotextual material theory.
      "Class is a legal fiction," says Lyotard. It could be said that the
      dialectic paradigm of discourse states that sexual identity has
      significance. The ground/figure distinction prevalent in Tarantino's
      Jackie Brown emerges again in Reservoir Dogs.
      In a sense, Marx uses the term `expressionism' to denote the role of
      the reader as artist. Sartre promotes the use of Sartreist
      existentialism to challenge the status quo.
      Thus, if the dialectic paradigm of discourse holds, we have to choose
      between postmodernist destructuralism and textual subpatriarchialist
      theory. Any number of narratives concerning the fatal flaw, and some
      would say the futility, of textual culture may be discovered.
      However, the premise of expressionism implies that academe is part of
      the meaninglessness of truth. The subject is contextualised into a
      Sartreist existentialism that includes language as a reality.
      Therefore, the dialectic paradigm of discourse suggests that
      consensus must come from the collective unconscious. Several
      discourses concerning Sartreist existentialism exist.

    • cepav0
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 21, 2007
        The quote below is pretty clear as to the profound relation between
        Sartre's philosophy and violence. The cogito, the generalized cogito,
        is a crime (did I hear Nietzsche somewhere?...):

        La situation veut que la vraie morale humaine prenne naissance dans
        cet acte isolé, purement individuel, de violence purement négative.
        Tentons de le comprendre dans son ambigüité et de légitimer cette
        violence. … en réalisant la liberté terroriste et négative de la pure
        conscience du monde par consomption du monde en face de la
        conscience, l'esclave réalise dans l'instant qui précède la mort
        cette conscience de soi que le stoïcisme, le scepticisme et le doute
        cartésien n'atteignent que dans la fuite et dans l'abstrait. … La
        destruction et le crime sont les conduites concrètes corrélatives du
        doute méthodique. [dans le crime] la conscience s'affirme dans sa
        solitude terroriste. Tout crime est toujours un peu un cogito.
        (Sartre, Cahier 418)

        What the heck, I'm giving it a try at translation:

        "The situation requires that the true human ethics is born out of
        this isolated act [the terrorist one], purely individual, of a purely
        negative violence. Let us try to understand it in its ambiguity and
        to legitimize this violence. ... by accomplishing the terrorist and
        negative freedom of the pure consciousness of the world, the slave
        attains in the instant right before his death to that self-
        consciousness that stoicism, scepticism and cartesian doubt attain to
        only in flight and in the abstract. ... Destruction and crime are the
        concrete behaviour correlative to methodical doubt. [in the crime]
        consciousness affirms itself in its terrorist solitude. All crime is
        always a bit of a cogito."

        Do I agree with this? Oh, not only that, I think these are some of
        the best lines ever writen in philosophy.