Sartre's view on philosophy

  • Ana Drobot
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2007
      "Philosophy appears to some people as a homogenous milieu: there
      thoughts are born and die, there systems are built, and there, in turn,
      they collapse. Others take Philosophy for a specific attitude which we
      can freely adopt at will. Still others see it as a determined segment
      of culture. In our view Philosophy does not exist."

      Sartre, Search for a Method (1960)

      I think Sartre was right.
    • Ian Buick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2007
        Hi Ana,
        I'm interested as to what Sartre means by this assertion. Does he write off all philosophy? Would he maintain that Marxism isn't a philosophy. In what respects do you think he is right?

        Regards
        Ian Buick

        To: Sartre@yahoogroups.comFrom: anadrobot@...: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:23:57 +0000Subject: [Sartre] Sartre's view on philosophy