Tommy - "mental illness"

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2007
      Dear ((((((((((((((((Tommy)))))))))))))))))))),

      Firstly, may I thank u sincerely for your willingness to discuss this topic. Although at first it may appear to be off topic, philosophy is philosophy and true philosophical discussion will always include Sartre;))

      I agree with Ronnie (R.D. Laing) in that thoughts of dualism must be rejected when it comes to being-for-oneself in a truly authentic experience of being in the world. While ever there is a distinction between mind, brain and body, there is no-thing complete. Being ever mindful of avoiding dualism, I am reluctant to distinguish between the mind and the brain and reject the suggestion that the brain contains no actual memories or sense impressions. While the likes of Ronnie, Thomas Szasz and Deleuze rejected the medical model of mental illness, I felt that to merely argue a one-sided case without significant knowledge of the medical model, was in itself a failure on my part. Consequently, I read and watched as many documentaries as I possibly could to gain some form of understanding.

      Magnetic imaging has allowed us to observe the workings of the brain and work at a powerful pace it does. When the subject, wired up to show the brain's magnetic imagery, is shown a photo with familiar faces, a snap shot memory of a past experience, brain activity becomes frantic, as if some-thing, some entity, frantically sorts through an entire storehouse of snap shot memories or roles of file, of faces and dialogues to restore to thought a reminder of that occasion, event or process. As the mind has no recognition of this frantic process at that exact moment in time, the brain must take over thinking, the brain reconstituting and presenting the audio/visual recording of an event or process the mind had long forgotten. From birth, sense impressions, existential experience, active and reactive thoughts and emotions contribute to the structuring and development of the brain, where as Williamson pointed out, the brain is "essentially organized to filter and unify sensory information", ensuring that coherent responses can be made (p.17; "Mind, Brain, and Schizophrenia" by Peter Williamson MD; University of Western Ontario, Canada, Oxford University Press 2006).

      While the brain plays an active part in thought processes, remembering, understanding and responding, I do not suggest for one moment that there exists a "naturally" dualistic state between brain and mind, or mind, brain and body. For while the mind, brain and body may appear to work independently, the activity of mind, brain and body share an interactive process and communication, where parts of the whole can have an affect upon other parts in this interactive process i.e. thought affecting the brain and body or the brain and body affecting thought.

      Of course, the question is, can improper or harmful thoughts; thoughts creation of an "unnatural" dualistic, alienated or delusional state, be defined or considered to be an illness? If one has cancer or syphilis, the physical ailment and pain there from can affect one's thoughts, where in turn, thoughts can seemingly have an affect upon the physical form. However, a positive shift in focus of thought can cure what is defined as mental illness, while positive thought alone cannot cure cancer or syphilis.

      Got this far when visitors arrived, but will begin this discussion again in the morning and sincerely welcome your comments.

      Oh just a quick note, here is something else i wrote the other morning :-

      Anxiety, helplessness, while totally in the "present", unlike the

      majority of human beings, the subject is drowning in his/her own "emotion", anxiously "obsessed with

      self and his/her position" or "lack" of position/direction or "lack or loss of self" (Buddhism), the subject in "bad faith" (Sartre) is unable to see beyond the point of now, in hopelessness, the subject is unable to look, plan or position his/her self in the future (Taylor, Heidegger & Deleuze), where with indecision and in "fear", the inability to either "fight " power struggles (Ronnie Laing) or take flight, the subject is stuck continually either releasing or withholding excessive amounts of dopamine, where as if with evidence of the self's "death wish" (hum perhaps Jung and or Freud etc), the excessive release or withholding of dopamine kills off the grey matter of the brain (neuroscience). This then becomes the self-fulfilling prophesy (Ronnie), where with the killing off of grey matter the subject descends into madness, into ultimate and inescapable death.

      If one is overwhelmed by feelings of helplessness and hopelessness and fails to fight/stand up for oneself in power struggles or alternatively take flight/remove oneself from a hostile environment, could it be said that one has taken up a position of bad faith? Is a failure to make choices or face responsibility dwelling in bad faith?

      The simplist explanation is generally the truth.

      Kind Regards & Hugs

      Elaine