Re: [Sartre] existence

  • Nagaraj Bhadrashetty
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2007
      well sir.. you opinion sartre believes exhistence of the self is a truth needing no proof.how do we define truth . truth is a concept that ought to be there for making an understanding and that has never been there. hence a continued search for that.even we cannot say the time at present accurately and correctly .by the time i perceive what time you have said it is already past.if you calculate time taken for its utterence and time taken for my perception and accordingly introduce correction and say the exact time that coincides with the mutually agreed time by an agreed watch or clock your statement of the time at the time you have uttered it is different and hence wrong also.. isnt it so...then may we say we can predict time correctly?that is it... then the basic question is is there a time ... according to my understanding there is no time outside my perception. yhe same applies to my exhistence also..if iam am am i am irrespective of my thinking... descartes statement
      is to be taken as a subjective intelligent exclammation... not as an exhistencial reality...welcome teasers....

      Ian Buick <buickian@...> wrote: In a recent post nagarajbhadrashetty says:

      >. i wish i believed i do exhist.but alas ! i do not. i did not and i will
      >not at least in the present form >of awareness.how can i say a rabbit taken
      >out of a magicians cap do really exhist. i am not sure >either way. i am
      >highly sceptical.

      I thought that Descartes put up a watertight argument for the existence of
      the self in his Meditations. In his " I think therefore I am" we may argue
      about what the "I" is, what "thought" is, and what it is to "be", but the
      fact that the I is doubting the existence of itself would seem to be
      irrefutable proof that the doubting I does in fact exist, otherwise it could
      not doubt.

      In Being and Nothingness, I'm sure Sartre takes the existence of self as a
      truth which demands no proof on his part.

      I do, however, seem to remember reading somewhere that doubt has been cast
      on Descartes cogito. Can anyone enlighten?

    • nagarajbhadrashetty
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2011
        yes, the existential problem has no single answer, i think.when in dream
        we feel we do really exist and experince the events there as if they are
        here and now;only after we wake up we realise it was not a CONCRETE
        thing but a CONCEPYUAL and hence less than virtual.So will we realise
        this life as a state resmbling the dream? no one knows for sure.all our
        attempts to understand the essence and absolute cause and purpose of
        existence are ultimately futile with no conceptions that deliver the
        truth.Intellectual masturbations may be pleasant but not creative.It is
        some what like a group of born blind men seriously trying to understand
        how different colors really look.Only death can reveal the truth if
        there is a state of beingness after death with this
        consciousness.Ultimately it is not what Sartre or Einstein or
        Shankaracharya make out of the meaning , it is what one makes out by
        one's own efforts and making his understanding that is it is emperical
        unto each one.
        --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, Nagaraj Bhadrashetty
        <nagarajbhadrashetty@...> wrote:

        > you say ....yes we exhist.dont know as to appreciate or pity or feel
        happy for you for so feeling. i wish i believed i do exhist.but alas ! i
        do not. i did not and i will not at least in the present form of
        awareness.how can i say a rabbit taken out of a magicians cap do really
        exhist. i am not sure either way. i am highly sceptical.sartre says
        BEING MEANS BELONGING TO SOME THING. Can you pl. explore for me?