no-thingness

  • S.M.Jaffar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      Whatis the concept of consciousness in Sastre's philosophy.How is it
      involved with human freedom.S.M.Jaffar
    • cepav0
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
        OK, a long answer made short. What is the concept of consciousness in
        Sartre's philosophy? In Sartre's philosophy the concept of
        consciousness IS the concept of consciousness. Now how is it related
        to human freedom? Well, to use an image, consciousness is the mid-day
        sun, no shadows, no hidden corners, and since then humans are aware of
        everything, they are free from everything. And first of all, from
        themselves. Of course, the mid-day sun of consciousness, is the mid-
        day sun of the man. Man is his own mid-day sun.

        Of course, we know that the mid-day sun is only but a small fraction
        of the whole day and shines only on one half of the planet, while on
        the other opposite side there is midnight pitch-black. Now imagine
        there was all the time and everywhere mid-day sun. Well, there would
        be no life then... Pure light is pure darkness, pure life is pure
        death. That's why one wouldnt want to see the sun and death in face.
        Perspectives, then, that is what one needs.