Re: Sartre

  • pgfreeman
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 2006
      --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, Skeeter <skeeter@...> wrote:

      Iris Murdoch: 'Sartre Romantic Rationalist' is good as is the book
      in the cartoon series guide to ideas 'Introducing Sartre'

      > Hello. I am 58 y/o, writing a philosophy of atheism for young
      adults.
      > I am planning a short chapter on Sartre as the #1 atheist teacher
      of the
      > 20th century.
      >
      > Can anyone recommend a good book available though someplace like
      Borders
      > that would give me a decent grounding in the man's philosophy? I
      am, of
      > course, most interested in existentialism (Sartre calls
      it "atheistic
      > existentialism" in "Existentialism Is A Humanism") as it relates
      to atheism.

      > Thank you,
      >
      > Skeeter Thompson

    • Anthony Rodriguez-Alcala
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 13, 2006
        A worthy contender for the greatest atheist prize of the 20th century is Freud. Think of "The Future of an Illusion," and "Moses and Monotheism."

        pgfreeman <pgfreeman@...> wrote: --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, Skeeter <skeeter@...> wrote:

        Iris Murdoch: 'Sartre Romantic Rationalist' is good as is the book
        in the cartoon series guide to ideas 'Introducing Sartre'

        > Hello. I am 58 y/o, writing a philosophy of atheism for young
        adults.
        > I am planning a short chapter on Sartre as the #1 atheist teacher
        of the
        > 20th century.
        >
        > Can anyone recommend a good book available though someplace like
        Borders
        > that would give me a decent grounding in the man's philosophy? I
        am, of
        > course, most interested in existentialism (Sartre calls
        it "atheistic
        > existentialism" in "Existentialism Is A Humanism") as it relates
        to atheism.

        > Thank you,
        >
        > Skeeter Thompson

      • Peter freeman
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13, 2006
          Top five atheist authors of the twentieth century:

          Bertrand Russell (e.g. The Worship of a Free Man)

          Albert Camus (e.g. The Plague The Myth of Sisphus

          Sartre As quoted

          Freud As quoted

          Samuel Beckett Waiting For Godot if that counts

          --- Anthony Rodriguez-Alcala <anthonyargosy@...>
          wrote:

          > A worthy contender for the greatest atheist prize of
          > the 20th century is Freud. Think of "The Future of
          > an Illusion," and "Moses and Monotheism."

        • prasun chatterjee
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2006

            as far as russel ihave very recently gone through his autobiography. it is a revealation to me about the people psychology of war.As far as Alber Camus 'plague' is supposedly the best described novel regarding grasp of fear people suffer during outbreak of an epidemic. i, in fact getting more and more interested comparing communism and existensialism. Please throw some light on this issue.