Re: [Sartre] Re: analytic and synthetic thinking

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2005
      Hi Phil,

      On 23 Dec 2005, at 21:29, theoryphil2004 wrote:
      >> Coincidentally, I received yesterday in my daily Spanish quotations
      >> email the following quotation from the French writer Nicolas
      >> Chamfort, obviously a "continental" by virtue of his country of
      >> birth, residence and language:
      > What a great way to make the distinction. So now Frege must be a
      > Continental and remind me where Wittgenstein was from and where he
      > wrote the Tractatus?

      Hmm, but I was referring to the "distinction" that you had already
      made in your post entitled Re: analytic and continental thinking

      > Or is he a Continental philosopher because he comes from the
      > Continent?

      I used the double quote marks to indicate that I was quoting you and
      thus subjecting that assumption to some skepticism.

      It appears that there has been a difficulty in preserving the
      necessary assumptions for our discussion to proceed to our mutual
      benefit. But that was my exact point! Where are these assumptions?

      I have to wonder why you joined our Sartre list if you weren't
      interested in challenging some of your assumptions.

      I have been active on this list for about 6 years, and I base my
      assumptions, in this forum, on those established by Sartre's work. If
      I wish to challenge any of Sartre's assumptions then I will make it
      explicit that that is what I am engaged in. That is my definition, as
      moderator, of topicality.

      I have to reiterate that there is no point in pursuing an interest in
      Sartre's philosophy if one persists in approaching the subject in the
      light of assumptions gained from a (however well advanced) study of
      analytic philosophy.

      Presumably you would agree that Wittgenstein fits into the general
      category of "analytic" thinker?

      I appreciate your contributions to this forum and willingness to
      engage in robust debate. I don't take any of your criticisms
      personally as I am merely taking a position that I believe Sartre's
      thought indicated. It may be that a position I have taken hasn't been
      always very well thought through but the fact that you are able to
      find in it something to which to respond justifies it as valid, for
      my purposes at least, and for those of this forum.

      I certainly wouldn't try and enforce the "analytic" norms that exist
      in current UK and US academic institutions on this forum. To do so
      would be, in my view, to deprive Sartre of what is most valuable
      about his thought.

      Best regards