Origins of Bad faith

  • decker150
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2005
      In the Sartrean scheme between existence on the one hand and essence
      on the other, it seems to me that 'essence', is where Bad Faith
      occurs. Well, essence 'has no' locus, but is the negational
      aspect, but the place where the negation takes place as a nothing, is
      pretty much between the ears. At least, that is the popular
      notion, that even though the For-itself is saturated throughout the
      totality of one's ownmost being, I become aware-of-itself in my
      senses-of-consciousness. While Sartre may not have used the phrase,
      mental deception, it seems alluded to. Where else would the deception
      occur except as a cerebreal activity, in our 'thinking brain'. Bad
      Faith arising, does so in the mind, which Sartre refered to
      the Being-For-Itself, which includes the 'mind' or mindfulness.
      Running with Parmenides notion that 'thinking and being' being the
      same; i.e., how would we even know we are here-in-the-world without
      the basic cogitos; the thinking functions between our ears.

      But as to the deception of bad faith, a self-deception, put into a non
      techincal language, could be stated this way; whatever
      magnifies-itself-in-your-mind (as your mind), that causes you, by
      yourself, to deceive yourself, is Bad Faith. It could be accepted by
      the majority, it could even seem normal, but if it fundamentally
      falsifies your perception and in turns causes you to live a less
      authentic life; IMHO, this is bad faith. I am not sure if we fully
      understand the farest reaches of this authentic life.

      Joe

      In a "normal" way, we abnormally fixate on this normal life we live,
      and when we do, even the loss of our own freedom can seem so right.