Re: Sartre on Sartre

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
      You're welcome, Oliva. I'm not as familiar with Sartre's works as I
      am with Camus, especially his personal life. I prefer Camus'
      synthesis, even though he rejected the existential label. And when it
      comes to phenomenology, I'm most excited about Madoc Owen's 'The Blue
      Rose Project'. His explanation of being and nothing is far more
      concise.

      Happy New Year!

      Mary Jo

      --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "olivia_sloan" <olivia_sloan@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Mary Jo,
      >
      > Thank-you for this, because it helps to know what it was the Sartre
      > saw that was important when he reflected back on his work...and his
      > opionion is a valuable one!
      >
      > Best!
      >

      > --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo" <alcyon11@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > "I would like them to remember Nausea, one or two plays, No Exit
      > and
      > > The Devil and the Good Lord, and then my two philosophical works,
      > > more particularly the second one, Critique of Dialectical Reason.
      > > Then my essay on Genet, Saint Genet, which I wrote quite a long
      > time
      > > ago. If these are remembered, that would be quite an achievement,
      > and
      > > I don't ask for more. As a man, if a certain Jean-Paul Sartre is
      > > remembered, I would like people to remember the milieu or the
      > > historical situation in which I lived, the general
      characteristics
      > of
      > > this milieu, how I lived in it, in terms of all the aspirations
      > which
      > > I tried to gather up within myself. This is how I would like to
      be
      > > remembered."
      > >
      > > <http://www.geocities.com/sartresite/sartre_biography.html#down3>
    • Mary Jo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
        Olivia, you're welcome. I don't post here because I haven't read much
        Sartre, only No Exit, and much more about him. Camus is my favorite
        existentialist, although he himself abhorred the label. I prefer his
        philosophy/morality presented in The Rebel above all else. However,
        concerning phenomenology, Madoc Owen's The Blue Rose Project says it
        all, which isn't very much so far. I find it refreshing. Mary

        wrote:

        > Hi Mary Jo,
        >
        > Thank-you for this, because it helps to know what it was the Sartre
        > saw that was important when he reflected back on his work...and his
        > opionion is a valuable one!
        >
        > Best!
        >

        > --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo" <alcyon11@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > "I would like them to remember Nausea, one or two plays, No Exit
        > and
        > > The Devil and the Good Lord, and then my two philosophical works,
        > > more particularly the second one, Critique of Dialectical Reason.
        > > Then my essay on Genet, Saint Genet, which I wrote quite a long
        > time
        > > ago. If these are remembered, that would be quite an achievement,
        > and
        > > I don't ask for more. As a man, if a certain Jean-Paul Sartre is
        > > remembered, I would like people to remember the milieu or the
        > > historical situation in which I lived, the general
        characteristics
        > of
        > > this milieu, how I lived in it, in terms of all the aspirations
        > which
        > > I tried to gather up within myself. This is how I would like to
        be
        > > remembered."
        > >
        > > <http://www.geocities.com/sartresite/sartre_biography.html#down3>
      • olivia_sloan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
          Hi Mary Jo,

          My knowledge of Sartre is pretty scattered. I tend to get hooked
          more on themes and then go and see what a particular philosopher
          would say about it; therefore I am sure that I put my foot in my
          mouth all the time about Sartre, but as long as the people I'm
          learning about him with don't mind, then it doesn't bother me that
          much either; no big ego's here. I think that it would be a shame if
          a great work like "Being and Nothingness" could not be discussed in a
          collective type situation, because that book would take an individual
          years to read and fully grasp.

          The point that Sartre raises about the way that he would like to be
          remembered has been in my thoughts in the last while. You really
          can't seperate what a person says or does out of the context that
          they say it or do it...

          I went back on my approval of Sartre's philosophy (lol -- like my
          approval or disapproval is important), when the "asthestics" of it
          became to overwhelming, but the asthestics are apart his context, and
          just the way he has of explaining things. When I began to reason
          about his philosphy again, because of discussing issues from the
          points of view of other philosophies, I have come back to think he
          really does have the greatest system to learn from and about...

          I think though, for what it's worth, the asthetic part of it is
          dated. His style seems to be anxiety provoking, and the creation of
          fear and anxiety is not going to move us ahead...but, what this has
          done is move me closer to trying to understand the technical end of
          things better. The technical end is where I am at...and it's
          hard .lol.

          I took a look at Blue Rose Project and I'm afraid my plate is really
          full right now. Between work and trying to understand "Being and
          Nothingness" better - I won't even be sleeping for a while.

          I hope that you will post more on this group though. You are quite
          intellegent, and as long as you relate Camus to Sartre in someway you
          can talk about him I'm pretty sure.

          All the very best!