Re: Deteminism and the danish, grey elephant

  • olivia_sloan
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hi Tommy,

      Tommy said: "That is why the principle of freedom is so important"

      The idea of freedom as a principle seems to be a little more workable
      than the idea of freedom being something absolute. An absolute being
      something ultimate and unrelated to anything else becomes impracticle
      in inter-related living conditions, where as a principle is something
      that implies something more inter-related. A basic truth is that in
      order to feel that we have some intrinsic worth we need to believe
      that "we" have chosen to do the right things freely. This requires
      that we allow other to also have the belief that they have freely
      choose to do the right thing. This is freedom bound by
      determinatness, because the choices are limited, but chosen freely.

      All best
    • Olivia Sloan
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 30, 2004
        Hi...I would like to add that the taking into consideration the choices that others do have in order to gain this intrinsic worth becomes something that has to be taken into consideration in order to protect one's own intrinsic worth.

        All best

        olivia_sloan <olivia_sloan@...> wrote:

        Hi Tommy,

        Tommy said: "That is why the principle of freedom is so important"

        The idea of freedom as a principle seems to be a little more workable
        than the idea of freedom being something absolute. An absolute being
        something ultimate and unrelated to anything else becomes impracticle
        in inter-related living conditions, where as a principle is something
        that implies something more inter-related. A basic truth is that in
        order to feel that we have some intrinsic worth we need to believe
        that "we" have chosen to do the right things freely. This requires
        that we allow other to also have the belief that they have freely
        choose to do the right thing. This is freedom bound by
        determinatness, because the choices are limited, but chosen freely.

        All best

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT