Introduction.

  • Charlie Bruno
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2000
      Hi all,
      My name is Charlie, and I have only recently had a renewed interest
      in philosophy. Reading some of Satre's works (and other's), back in
      the mid 70's has had a significant influence in the way I think today.
      I have since gotten away from such interest, due to the coarse of
      life, but reading a few of your post got me hooked again. ...(Who's
      post stated that he was new to Satre and was only to p.4 of
      B&N,..cause I've tried to read B&N and could not even get to p.4). I
      also enjoyed seeing a reference to Lewis Caroll's works. ..Wasn't
      Caroll also a logician who early pioneered Boolean Logic?.
      I hope I may be welcomed to the group, though I am a 1st grader
      among college students. I recently felt unwelcomed to a group to
      which subject I was very interested in, but had a different slant on.
      I which I could share details but...ahh hell...it was a group about
      astral traveling...I do it, as form of recreation, controlled
      dreaming as you will, and was willing to share my technique which I
      have developed over many years. But most of the group see it as a
      mystic experience...guides, chantra's, energies, etc.... and, excuse
      the pretention, but there, I felt like the college student.
      So, I will probably just be reading,learning and enjoying your post.
      ...P.S. How many credits is this course...
      Sincerely, Charlie B.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21, 2000
        At 6:47 am +0000 21/8/00, Charlie Bruno wrote:
        >Wasn't
        >Caroll also a logician who early pioneered Boolean Logic?

        I don't know the answer to this one but if, as seems likely, he was,
        what a great man!

        Boolean logic is the basis of the most prevalent epistemological
        habit of our time. As a relational database programmer I am
        accustomed to slotting many different kinds of descriptions of
        situations into the 'if [condition is true] then [x] else [y]'
        schemata and there are times when I confuse this approach to
        informatics with the basis of a philosophy.

        Sometimes I think that consciousness itself operates on Boolean
        principles: its just that we process so many parallel Boolean
        operations so many times a second that it confuses us into thinking
        there is something more.

        It is possible that this is true and the element which humanises this
        essentially binary, computeroid consciousness is simply our
        relationship with time.

        As an analogy, if you view the waveform of the sound of a piece of
        music plotted across time, all you see is a line plotting amplitude
        plus and minus relative to a baseline.

        How can this convey the textural and emotional richness of a
        Beethoven symphony, for example? The whole lot, timpani, strings,
        brass, woodwind, the nuances imbued by the conductor, the intent of
        the composer, everything no more than a series of points of amplitude
        of sound intensity.

        I must say as a musician who came to digital representation late, for
        a long time it seemed simply unbelievable that this was so. However,
        it is.

        The difference between the series of points of amplitude of sound
        intensity plotted across time and the Beethoven symphony, in terms of
        our perceptions of the sound as a piece of music is our relationship
        as human beings to time.

        Similarly, I think it is possible that consciousness can be 'reduced'
        (if necessary) to a large number of Boolean operations, possibly
        processed in parallel, consisting of: test; if true then 1, else 0;
        next test etc. And these taken together, added to the fact that many
        beings are processing these Boolean operations simultaneously and
        communicating the results to one another using language, etc. result
        in what we call consciousness, culture, etc.

        It is easy to deride informatics as being 'simply' binary, boolean
        operations, but what I suspect Caroll was trying to convey in his
        'Alice' books was the very detailed, rich wierdness that quickly
        ensues as we make connections between all of these boolean operations
        creating thought and imagination.

        Of course Caroll was also an opium addict!

        Tommy Beavitt
      • Charlie Bruno
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2000
          Whooa Tommy, thank you so much for the inspiring reply. (If I am
          really good, will you take me to the planet you're all from.).

          It comes to my mind a scene from a Robbie Benson jock flick, where
          he has a confrontation with a brainiac, and in an attempt to give the
          brianiac a bit of his mind, he begins by saying, "I think..." and the
          brainiac stops him dead and replies, "...no you don't".

          Maybe one day, I will have something relevent to share with the group.
          Till then, my silent applause.

          -Charlie-
        • Maurine Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2000
            Hear Hear!
            Charlie, thank you for reassuring me of the fact that indeed I am not the
            only one who is silently reviewing each missive with growing trepidation
            mixed with a begrudging admiration for all these fine folks who are
            apparently verbally wealthy considering the plethora of five dollar words
            liberally used.
            I consider myself an intelligent woman, worthy of conversation, but being(no
            pun intended) a "Sartre-virgin" who is just enlightening herself to the
            depth of his work I find myself hesitant to jump in.
            Yet.

            Regards

            MSmith

            Whooa Tommy, thank you so much for the inspiring reply. (If I am
            really good, will you take me to the planet you're all from.).

            It comes to my mind a scene from a Robbie Benson jock flick, where
            he has a confrontation with a brainiac, and in an attempt to give the
            brianiac a bit of his mind, he begins by saying, "I think..." and the
            brainiac stops him dead and replies, "...no you don't".

            Maybe one day, I will have something relevent to share with the group.
            Till then, my silent applause.

            -Charlie-

            Sartre homepage: http://www.Sartre.org.uk/

            <A
            HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-Paul+S
            artre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click here to purchase books by Jean-Paul
            Sartre -in association with Amazon (US).</A>
          • karenmhayse
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2003
              Hey Captain--is this you? Slick