Nausea

  • Mr ezra melakie
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 30, 2004
      I have a question, perhaps it is a naive one, but I
      am really very curious... can anyone tell me exactly
      what was going on in "Nausea", in the incident between
      the "man with the blue cape" and the young girl (it
      happens in the deserted park I believe)? I really
      would appreciate it.

      Ariel

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Eric S
      Message 48 of 48 , Jun 14, 2007
        Ana,

        Are you familiar with Baudelaire's poem:

        One should always be drunk. That's all that matters;
        that's our one imperative need. So as not to feel Time's
        horrible burden one which breaks your shoulders and bows
        you down, you must get drunk without cease.
        But with what?
        With wine, poetry, or virtue
        as you choose.
        But get drunk.
        And if, at some time, on steps of a palace,
        in the green grass of a ditch,
        in the bleak solitude of your room,
        you are waking and the drunkenness has already abated,
        ask the wind, the wave, the stars, the clock,
        all that which flees,
        all that which groans,
        all that which rolls,
        all that which sings,
        all that which speaks,
        ask them, what time it is;
        and the wind, the wave, the stars, the birds, and the clock,
        they will all reply:
        "It is time to get drunk!
        So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
        get drunk, get drunk,
        and never pause for rest!
        With wine, poetry, or virtue,
        as you choose!"

        Maybe Nausea is simply the hangover from living life in this fashion.

        eric

        Ana Drobot <anadrobot@...> wrote:
        I made up a list of what Sartre's nausea means, what feelings it
        includes (please feel free to add some more).
        Nausea includes:
        - disgust
        - anxiety
        - anguish
        - fear
        Nausea is the equivalent of Stimmung. Stimmung is an affective state,
        the experience that the individual has of being, and, with other
        writers, a metaphysical anxiety.