Re: [Sartre] Postmodernism (?)

  • rory
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hi Joe!

      I just finished a cursory study of postmodernism last May. Youre right. They're all against absolutist grand theories or what we call meta-narratives. I believe Sartre would belong to the latter in his absolutism of the for-itself. Comments anyone?

      Regarding science, Richard Rorty, a neo-pragmatist towing the line of Dewey and James, rejects the epistemological bias of modern philosophy introduced by Descartes. He uses epistemological behaviorism. But we would run off-track from Sartre if we indulge ourselves any further.

      To close, I'm afraid Rortryan epistemology opens up a crack in the epistemology Sartre knew of.

      cicero

      decker150 <decker150@...> wrote:
      The judgement I have regarding postmodernism is that it is not
      merely skeptical toward philosophy, but towards types of philosophy
      that hold out hope that the thinker can arrive an a clear and
      correct understanding of the human condition. But I wonder if
      postmodern thought is also sceptical toward science?

      Joe

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • aeon
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 3, 2004
        --- decker150 <decker150@...> wrote:

        While existentialism, generally appeals to
        > atheistic
        > stands, it will also allow theistic interpretations.
        > I don't
        > believe Sartre's essays 'proved' anything on behalf
        > of atheism, but
        > it did give them a new voice to describe the human
        > condition without
        > alluding to the 'higher being.'
        >
        > Joe

        Christian: I also think, that Sartres atheism is not
        dogmatic, but instead has the function of "cutting of"
        the easy escape and excuses religion tends to offer in
        ethical questions.
        Sartre wanted to point out, that NOTHING can serve as
        an excuse for our actions. There is no escape from
        freedom and we ourselves are fully responsible for our choices.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail