Re: [Sartre] Re: Atheistic existentialism_existentialist question_The Oracle, Kierkegaard, and irony

  • Carol Knowles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2004
      The Oracle in the Matrix Revolutions says "I did not know, I believed." (She
      was being asked how she knew what the future would hold)

      George and Joe,

      Do you think the poststructuralist's focus on language and meaning, rather
      than trying to bridge the gap between noumena and phenouna, is a solution?

      In other words, all previous philosophy is fundamentally flawed and
      impossible to state as to state is to begin with a presupposition. The
      presuppositions with which all arguments begin affirm without proof, and
      any conclusion that is reached is only true in so far as the presupposition
      is true - which is unprovable due to what Joe said. Hence, any argument
      cannot be true. It may be valid, but it is not true becuase it is negated as
      soon as one negates the presupposition.

      Epistemology is always subject to infinite regress. Instead, think in terms
      of language, synchrony, and diachrony, and that's about as good as we will
      get to reach 'truth' about what human's experience. And as psychoanalysis
      focuses on meaning - well, maybe that is the best way to know our
      experience.

      I am reading Kierkegaard's 'Concept of irony', and in his view, the
      Socratic method is an ironic method - ie. to focus on the negative. By which
      I mean, through his questionings, he brings all affirmative or positive
      statements to negation - which Kierkegaard calls irony.

      Was Socrates the first and only philosopher pre the poststructuralists who
      could really be called a philosopher - or can we include Descartes method
      of doubt, as long as we eliminate his belief in God. And the same applies
      to Hegel.

      What do you think of this?

      Carol

      Carol