Re: [Sartre] Re: Who's the happiest?

  • Stanley Chan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi Kieran,
      I have not read any Marcel Proust, but would be delighted to be given the
      reference of his claim that the most joyous moments are fleeting..... If so,
      is his view on the essence of life seemingly one of pessimism, not unlike
      the Buddhist view of life which in its brevity states that nine of ten
      events in life, presumably personal life, are miserable and sad ? Is that
      very joyous moment of the New Year already fleetingly gone and disappeared
      with no truce any more? What will sustain us for the rest of the year?
      Stanley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
        i broke my hand in a bar fight, so i wont be writing much for a little whie.
        the reference, i believe, is from the book: "things of rememberance past" or
        something like that. the character was sipping tea and cake. then he talks
        abiut celtic folklore, and how a dead soul resides in the place where it
        died. then he likens this to objects. times in our life don't die, they go
        to a different place. then the cake causes him to rember something, and as
        he draws out the memory he remarks that the best times unravel, and more is
        remembered after the fact.