Who's the happiest?

  • Lapin _866
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2003
      There are times for some of us to enjoy live as pro-Sartre, and others to
      enjoy it as anti-Sartre.
      There is a competition: who is happier? How can you convince others you're
      more happy as a thinker-chooser for-itselfer, than as an instinctive non
      self-reflective person?

      My response is: happiness is something far too intricated to evaluate so
      that one would organize competitions.

      http://search.fr.msn.ch
    • E
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2003
        So ... your answer to your own question is, "That's a stupid
        question"?

        --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "Lapin _866" <lapin_866@h...>

        _______________
      • md8187@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2003
          please unsubsribe me!!!
        • Lapin _866
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 28, 2003
            "Who is happier" is the question I sense be implicit in debates about ways
            of living. To me this question about happiness isn't stupid at all, but what
            would be stupid is claim that one can answer to it.

            >From: "E" <hume50265@...>
            >To: Sartre@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Sartre] Re: Who's the happiest?
            >Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:34:58 -0000
            >
            >So ... your answer to your own question is, "That's a stupid
            >question"?
            >

            >--- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "Lapin _866" <lapin_866@h...>
            >wrote:
            > > There are times for some of us to enjoy live as pro-Sartre, and
            >others to
            > > enjoy it as anti-Sartre.
            > > There is a competition: who is happier? How can you convince
            >others you're
            > > more happy as a thinker-chooser for-itselfer, than as an
            >instinctive non
            > > self-reflective person?
            > >
            > > My response is: happiness is something far too intricated to
            >evaluate so
            > > that one would organize competitions.

            >_______________
            > > MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous !
            > > http://search.fr.msn.ch

            http://messenger.fr.msn.ch
          • Elaine Phipps-Earl
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2003
              Personally i do not believe there is such a thing as true happiness. We
              experience something we call happiness in fleeting moments, rare instances
              in a lifetime. Ultimately there can be no true happiness for we are in a
              state of perpetual change. Happiness is something we are always searching
              for. Our searching devalues the present and in the rare moments when we do
              experience this thing called happiness, we ever after feel cheated by that
              moment not continuing and judge all other states in relation to this moment
              that has passed. We may be able to give a definition of what has made or
              makes us happy, but can we give a definition of what happiness is in itself?
            • Leon McQuaid
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 29, 2003
                Has anyone read any Marcel Proust? I heard he wrote about how the most
                joyus moments are fleeting, yet they are like balls fo yarn, and in
                recollection they expand and unravel.

                >From: "Elaine Phipps-Earl" <lizral@...>
                >To: <Sartre@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [Sartre] Re: Who's the happiest?
                >Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:07:28 +1000
                >
                >Personally i do not believe there is such a thing as true happiness. We
                >experience something we call happiness in fleeting moments, rare instances
                >in a lifetime. Ultimately there can be no true happiness for we are in a
                >state of perpetual change. Happiness is something we are always searching
                >for. Our searching devalues the present and in the rare moments when we do
                >experience this thing called happiness, we ever after feel cheated by that
                >moment not continuing and judge all other states in relation to this moment
                >that has passed. We may be able to give a definition of what has made or
                >makes us happy, but can we give a definition of what happiness is in
                >itself?

              • Oksana Delana
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2003
                  why u r writting to me about that?

                  >From: md8187@...
                  >To: Sartre@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Sartre] Re: Who's the happiest?
                  >Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:44:14 -0500
                  >
                  >please unsubsribe me!!!

                  Send mobile Christmas cards, download a festive ringtone and win a Motorola
                  E365. Go to: http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/christmas.asp
                • Stanley Chan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1 5:41 AM
                    Hi Kieran,
                    I have not read any Marcel Proust, but would be delighted to be given the
                    reference of his claim that the most joyous moments are fleeting..... If so,
                    is his view on the essence of life seemingly one of pessimism, not unlike
                    the Buddhist view of life which in its brevity states that nine of ten
                    events in life, presumably personal life, are miserable and sad ? Is that
                    very joyous moment of the New Year already fleetingly gone and disappeared
                    with no truce any more? What will sustain us for the rest of the year?
                    Stanley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2 9:21 AM
                      i broke my hand in a bar fight, so i wont be writing much for a little whie.
                      the reference, i believe, is from the book: "things of rememberance past" or
                      something like that. the character was sipping tea and cake. then he talks
                      abiut celtic folklore, and how a dead soul resides in the place where it
                      died. then he likens this to objects. times in our life don't die, they go
                      to a different place. then the cake causes him to rember something, and as
                      he draws out the memory he remarks that the best times unravel, and more is
                      remembered after the fact.