Re: [Sartre] just looking for a point in the right direction

  • Elaine Phipps-Earl
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
      Dearest ((((((((((Stephen))))))))),

      Just curious, do u believe that there can be no true understanding of the
      supreme good or morality without the notion of a God?

      Hugs
      Elaine
    • Leon McQuaid
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
        I just wrote a paper on Hegel. And that is one messed up dude. I wont go
        into detail but I am struck by to an underlying point in Christian vs Greek
        religion. In older views of god, satan is gods helper. It is his task to
        test man, and indirectly test god so that man might grow and learn and that
        Gods creation might be shown to be perfect and made manifest in perfection.
        Woman, likewise, is mans opposite helper. It is mans world, yet woman's
        role is to challenge him and force him to grow aswell. The Greek world is
        one of revolution (not rebellion) where if the gods are not careful they
        will be out right overthrown.