Sartre and smoking as constant accompaniment

  • rhutch1411
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      I'm doing some work on the existential-phenomenological take on
      addiction. Could anyone help steer me towards the passage(s) in
      Being and Nothingness in which Sartre talks about smoking as a
      constant accompaniment. I'm aware of the stuff on p. 596 of the
      Routledge 2000 edition, but believe that there are some other moments
      in the essay in which he discusses this topic.

      Thanks,

      Hutch
    • Matthew Del Nevo
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        In the interviews in Adieux by de Beauvoir it has some parts where Sartre
        talks about the psychological difference between the pipe and the cigs and
        elsewhere about giving up smoking (but too late).
        Matthew

        At 09:51 1/08/03 -0000, you wrote:
        > I'm doing some work on the existential-phenomenological take on
        > Could anyone help steer me towards the passage(s) in
        > Being and Nothingness in which Sartre talks about smoking as a
        > I'm aware of the stuff on p. 596 of the
        > Routledge 2000 edition, but believe that there are some other moments
        > in the essay in which he discusses this topic.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Hutch
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      • Aurelio Reis
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
          Hi,Hutch

          In the chapter IV of the "L'Age de Raison" (the age of the reason), in the
          first appearance of IVICH, the platonic love of Mathieu, the central
          personage. Ivich is had fun with smoke, making philosophical commentaries
          concerning smoke.

          Um abraço,
          Aurélio.

          MSN Messenger: converse com os seus amigos online.
          http://messenger.msn.com.br