Re: [Sartre] Ethics

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2003
      At 8:50 am -0400 18/6/03, anjo3jantz@... wrote:
      >I disagree that Sartre, in "Being and Nothingness", denies the possibility
      >of an ethical system. He does deny that such a system can be formulated by
      >ontology alone, in and of itself, or that there are universal absolutes of
      >morality provided by something outside human existence, i.e., God.
      >Rather, he says,
      >man is the unique source of values, and that these values are no less valid
      >for having their origin in man. Freedom brings responsibility. At
      >the end of B&
      >N he raises a number of questions and then states: "All these questions...can
      >find their reply only on the ethical plane. We shall devote to them a future
      >work."

      Thanks for that. You are absolutely correct.

      Join us at Communicationalism, the attempt to find a basis for ethics
      in communication rather than survival
    • Matthew Del Nevo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2003
        The problem with the ethical Sartreanis the lack of first principles
        signified by freedom. Sartre himself suffered this. He had a reaction to
        the situation of his day and committed to this and that but there was
        something arbitrary about it, this problem which dogged him, dogs his
        written philosophy. Often he had to change sides or disassociate himself
        with respect to humanitarianism, Communism, Stalinism, Maoism. But the
        ethical Sartrean would not be a shiftless character, as witness Sartre and
        de Beauvoir, neither of whom were that. He would be an intellectual and
        this is particularly French because the
        intellectual there, in a system which is stateist, in which culture is a
        product of the state in that the state funds and protects it, stands out of
        the state (while also a product of it) and with or against the people
        (depending - this is where the ethics comes in). In Anglo-Saxon countries
        this is not the
        case and the intellectual hardly exists. We have the 'expert' which is
        different, we have the academic which is different again, and we have the
        populist blatantly capitalist media driving opinion. There is basically
        not an intellectual culture in the New World or in England for that matter.
        The
        ethical Sartrean I think would have to be living in a Latin country or
        perhaps South America.
        Matthew