Re: [Sartre] Ethics

  • anjo3jantz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2003
      Just as a footnote to Tommy's excellent response on the ethical question:

      I disagree that Sartre, in "Being and Nothingness", denies the possibility
      of an ethical system. He does deny that such a system can be formulated by
      ontology alone, in and of itself, or that there are universal absolutes of
      morality provided by something outside human existence, i.e., God. Rather, he says,
      man is the unique source of values, and that these values are no less valid
      for having their origin in man. Freedom brings responsibility. At the end of B&
      N he raises a number of questions and then states: "All these questions...can
      find their reply only on the ethical plane. We shall devote to them a future
      work."

      Unfortunately, he never completed such a work, though in the late '40s he
      made extensive notes towards it. These notebooks were published posthumously by
      the University of Chicago Press -- a 500 page book. By his own admission he
      also prepared drafts for an ethics during the '60s, though this (which
      apparantly is also hundreds of pages) has not been published. Some of the other
      existentialists did, however, write books on ethics (see, for example, de Beauvoir's
      "Ethics of Ambiguity" and Hazel Barnes' "An Existential Ethics"). Heidegger
      also addresses ethics in "Being and Time", though it is more implicit than
      explicit.

      Regards,
      Andrew

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2003
        At 8:50 am -0400 18/6/03, anjo3jantz@... wrote:
        >I disagree that Sartre, in "Being and Nothingness", denies the possibility
        >of an ethical system. He does deny that such a system can be formulated by
        >ontology alone, in and of itself, or that there are universal absolutes of
        >morality provided by something outside human existence, i.e., God.
        >Rather, he says,
        >man is the unique source of values, and that these values are no less valid
        >for having their origin in man. Freedom brings responsibility. At
        >the end of B&
        >N he raises a number of questions and then states: "All these questions...can
        >find their reply only on the ethical plane. We shall devote to them a future
        >work."

        Thanks for that. You are absolutely correct.

        Join us at Communicationalism, the attempt to find a basis for ethics
        in communication rather than survival
      • Matthew Del Nevo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2003
          The problem with the ethical Sartreanis the lack of first principles
          signified by freedom. Sartre himself suffered this. He had a reaction to
          the situation of his day and committed to this and that but there was
          something arbitrary about it, this problem which dogged him, dogs his
          written philosophy. Often he had to change sides or disassociate himself
          with respect to humanitarianism, Communism, Stalinism, Maoism. But the
          ethical Sartrean would not be a shiftless character, as witness Sartre and
          de Beauvoir, neither of whom were that. He would be an intellectual and
          this is particularly French because the
          intellectual there, in a system which is stateist, in which culture is a
          product of the state in that the state funds and protects it, stands out of
          the state (while also a product of it) and with or against the people
          (depending - this is where the ethics comes in). In Anglo-Saxon countries
          this is not the
          case and the intellectual hardly exists. We have the 'expert' which is
          different, we have the academic which is different again, and we have the
          populist blatantly capitalist media driving opinion. There is basically
          not an intellectual culture in the New World or in England for that matter.
          The
          ethical Sartrean I think would have to be living in a Latin country or
          perhaps South America.
          Matthew