"False consciousness": fancy as a reality

  • Lapin _866
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      how could
      >anyone not be unsatisfied with their own [chosen] lives?

      You mean every second of one's life? There are mental schemes in our nervous
      system corresponding to any emotionnal state as "frustrations" or
      "insatisfaction", and a way for everyone of us to get stucked in one of
      those schemes.

      Who doesn't
      >live and die in false consciousness?

      Er...Since our "captors" ' power is limited, of course what we are
      "conscious" of is personnal, and can only be easily communicated between
      organisms that own very similar captors.

      A human beeing is able to believe whatever seems beautiful to it. If at the
      very end of my life "I" stops integrating in what "I" defines as reality,
      the belief that "I" will get to Paradise just before "I" dies (a belief that
      does good to "me"), why should "I" then regret of having lived on an
      illusion that kept "me" relaxed and serene during "my" whole life?

      Fancy is part of a personnal reality for those who give value to it, as for
      myself I give value to any fancy associated with an intense feeling &
      pleasure, so that this fancy "upgrades" into reality. Happiness of other
      people, and beauty of my surroundings, won't be my business, unless I find
      myself naturally ready to get other people happier and my surroundings
      lovely. May I find agressivity to repel any kind of stinky thought when I
      don't find any way to make life more beautiful beyond what my body is ready
      to give without suffering (let's point this out: "effort" and "suffering" do
      not mean the same thing to me).

      There is an amount of energy that our bodies are ready to invest in some
      efforts and a bit suffering, (not too much of the later because of risks of
      remaning pollution due to bad souvenirs). The best way to be happy is to go
      with all one's energy for what one thinks it fit to one's body's abilities
      best. Then may one be at the right place, not in human-unwelcoming parts of
      cosmos. Chemicals of happiness: no being does find ressources to get the
      appropriate mental scheme for any situation (but sometimes I'm impressed).

      So?

      http://search.fr.msn.ch
    • jgbardis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
        --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "Lapin _866" <lapin_866@h...> wrote:
        > how could
        > >anyone not be unsatisfied with their own [chosen] lives?
        >
        > You mean every second of one's life? There are mental schemes in
        our nervous
        > system corresponding to any emotionnal state as "frustrations" or
        > "insatisfaction", and a way for everyone of us to get stucked in
        one of
        > those schemes.
        >
        > Who doesn't
        > >live and die in false consciousness?
        > >

        > Er...Since our "captors" ' power is limited, of course what we are
        > "conscious" of is personnal, and can only be easily communicated
        between
        > organisms that own very similar captors.
        >
        > A human beeing is able to believe whatever seems beautiful to it.
        If at the
        > very end of my life "I" stops integrating in what "I" defines as
        reality,
        > the belief that "I" will get to Paradise just before "I" dies (a
        belief that
        > does good to "me"), why should "I" then regret of having lived on
        an
        > illusion that kept "me" relaxed and serene during "my" whole life?
        >
        > Fancy is part of a personnal reality for those who give value to
        it, as for
        > myself I give value to any fancy associated with an intense feeling
        &
        > pleasure, so that this fancy "upgrades" into reality. Happiness of
        other
        > people, and beauty of my surroundings, won't be my business, unless
        I find
        > myself naturally ready to get other people happier and my
        surroundings
        > lovely. May I find agressivity to repel any kind of stinky thought
        when I
        > don't find any way to make life more beautiful beyond what my body
        is ready
        > to give without suffering (let's point this out: "effort"
        and "suffering" do
        > not mean the same thing to me).
        >
        > There is an amount of energy that our bodies are ready to invest in
        some
        > efforts and a bit suffering, (not too much of the later because of
        risks of
        > remaning pollution due to bad souvenirs). The best way to be happy
        is to go
        > with all one's energy for what one thinks it fit to one's body's
        abilities
        > best. Then may one be at the right place, not in human-unwelcoming
        parts of
        > cosmos. Chemicals of happiness: no being does find ressources to
        get the
        > appropriate mental scheme for any situation (but sometimes I'm
        impressed).

        > So?

        OK - that sounds about right to me.

        According to Thomas Aquinas for the world to reflect God it needs to
        be made up of lots of things, great things, small things, everything
        in between - to really do the job an infinite number of things would
        be required. There is no one thing all by itself, obviously, that
        could even begin to do the job.

        That's why we need both teachers of poetry and music as well as bank
        robbers. But that's also why a teacher of poetry and music might, as
        he died, think - man! wouldn't it be cool to be a bank robber! And a
        bank robber might think, as he lay dying in the street - I wish I'd
        spent my life reading poetry.

        Whatever we do will only be partial. It can't be everything. So we'll
        be unsatisfied. We will never attain to a complete and perfect
        consciousness so our consciousness will always be to some extent a
        false coneciousness.

        So obviously we have to learn to live in the limitations of being
        human and not God - we have to muddle along as best we can accepting
        our partial view-point on things - a process you describe very well
        above.

        John