Re: [Sartre] What is a Dream?

  • praxistence@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2003
      Yes, I recall dreaming several variations on the falling theme (high-arching,
      swinging footbridge over some unviewable chasm; mountainside sledding over a
      precipice); I always seem to have awaken @the very instance that I was
      falling (or aware of the height) in the dream. There have been occasions when
      I've been afraid of heights, & there have been occasions when I had no fear
      of the same heights--like the heights of bluffs @the Mississippi Palisades in
      western Illinois.

      I'm not sure any of this is explicable via neurochemistry or SOP psychology.
      In the movie Sartre By Himself, Sartre explains the effect that mescaline use
      had on him & that he could see that he was developing some chronic
      hallucinogenic psychosis but could not imagine why. Nor could he explain why
      he couldn't avoid his hallucinations.

      Freud's dreams as wish fulfillment doesn't seem to cut it either. Even if one
      is convinced that harm should come to oneself (here, by falling), it remains
      to be explained just why one would wish harm to oneself, which I'd reckon
      takes us back to cultural or social motives (e.g., somebody else thinks harm
      should come to me, or rather, I think someone else thinks harm should come to
      me).