sartre's various addresses in paris

  • apollo creed <d@techno.ca>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
      hello,

      my name is derek. i am new to this list and i was wondering if
      anyone had any biographical info on sartre that contained any of the
      addresses of apartments/places where he lived in his later parisian
      life. i live in paris now and i was hoping to be able to put togther
      a small sartre tour for myself to take.

      so far i have a few of the obvious places but i am having a hard time
      finding more concrete info. i have the address of where sartre was
      born (13 rue mignard in the 16eme) and a few of his haunts (la
      rotonde and cafe de flore).

      thanks!
      derek...

      p.s. i will post the sum total of my research in a week or so in case
      anyone is interested in taking such a tour.
    • anjo3jantz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
        Derek ---

        I am jealous! I would love to take a "Sartre Tour" some day in Paris.
        Seeing where he lived, and of course, the cafes where he spent so much time
        writing. Please do post your impressions!

        Andrew

      • Stephen Cowley
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2003
          Dear Derek,

          I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but I think there are philosophical
          tours of Paris - though I've never been there long enough to find them.
          From memory, there's the Victor Cousin library near the Sorbonne, where
          Simone de Beauvoir used to study (see Memoires, Vol 1) and the Jardins de
          Luxembourg, where they used to hang out.

          Find out anything else, and I'd be interested to hear about it.

          All the best
          Stephen