Re: [Sartre] Re: Phenomenon (was: Philosophy)

  • praxistence@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2003
      But this "law" that this presumed pattern "obeys" is a statement by
      scientists, i.e., people. The law was developed by people to describe what
      they saw in nature or what they produced from nature (e.g., Galileo dropping
      balls from the Pisa tower). To say that events or patterns of events obey
      laws (of science) is to remove the human element (producers of laws) from
      laws & from science.

      I think this what Sartre cautioned against. This is again reducing the
      cultural order (from whence scientists come) to natural order (what occurs
      without scientists). Catastrosphic natural events (earthquakes, hurricanes)
      are catastrophic only via the imprimatur of humankind. But we are so
      accustomed to removing the human element from science that we are baffled
      when someone like Sartre put it back in.