Re: [Sartre] Dreams by Chekhov

  • John Foster
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      Chekov story, Dreams, has an autobiographical element to it.
      I am not sure what the direct connection is to Sartre except
      that it is a very existentialist one. Belief is not
      acceptance, and thus being in acceptance of one's fate, to
      very rind and core, is not simply a matter of faith.

      Rappaport explains that "acceptance is not belief"....The
      "term 'belief' at least suggests a mental state concerning,
      or arising out of, the relationship between the cognitive
      processes of individuals and representations presented to
      them as possible candidates for the status of true."

      Belief is a 'subjective' inner state, and it is not a public
      state 'visible to both witnesses and to performers. People
      may accept because they believe....Belief can provide
      grounds for refusals to accept. Faith therefore denotes
      acceptance, and even if faith arises, faith expresses some
      elements of a doubt because acceptance aknowledges
      obligation unless it is entirely insincere, and infilicity
      (infidelity). Perhaps then all morality begins with
      acceptance. In Dreams acceptance is long past, and
      obligations become not simply 'performative utterances' but
      acts of sincerity, rituals, however; not mere rituals.

      I am not sure if Sartre has reflected on what is the loose
      connection between the good and the bad with respect to
      faith, belief and acceptance (or recognizing, and

      Not a foggy day at all....

      John Foster

      Gibt es auf Erden ein Maass? Es gibt keines.

      Is there on earth a measure? There is none.