Re: [Sartre] Re: Nietzsche and "Yes"

  • Leon McQuaid
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
      No don't appologize, I like what you said. Possession vs. consumption. I
      would like to explore this. If we rationalize possession there is no basis
      of owning anything other than our actions.
      After all what is the criteria of ownership? A deed? that's just a piece of
      paper. Perhaps what is ownership is only the violence that can back up a
      claim. But there is another more accurate use of the word Possess, "as in
      the sense of the devil possessed me". And as an 'empty' consiousness I can
      define myself on 'having possessions' (ownership) or 'the act of
      possessing'. What I mean 'the act of possessing' is fully realizing the
      sensual potential of what I, as subject, objectify. I believe this is what
      De Beauvoir might mean when she talks about 'intersubjectivity'. Though I
      am fundamentally seperated from 'the Other' (or that which I objectify) if I
      am completely "generous in both body and consiousness" I almost 'possess the
      Other' it or they almost become a part of me. Thus I am not consuming or
      defining myself on want, I am defining myself on possession... yes that is
      good!!

      http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
    • Amy Wing
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
        Hi Leon, I think that I understand what you are
        saying. We are activley defining ourselves by
        possessing and therefore producing the meaning in our
        life. Giving, is making others apart of the meaning in
        our life, thus apart of us. This is why Sartre says
        that when we choose for ourselves we also choose for
        the world. We are the same. How did I do? I
        understand that possession does not just relate to
        material possesions. I like your line of thinking, and
        I have something to add. We can create meaning for
        ourselves by what we do possess and what we don't
        possess.

        An idea related to defining ourselves by what we do
        not possess, that has me totally awstruck, is that
        when we say that we do not own something, we emphasis
        it. So, if I was to say, I do not believe in boarders,
        I actually create them. What I am saying by this is
        that my property does not have boards which really
        means that people can come on my property. This is
        getting a bit off topic, so don't worry if no-one
        really has anything to say about it. I am just really
        puzzled at the power of this idea and I think that it
        is very key to they way we produce meaning without
        knowing it.

        Bye the way orangebox--I like everything you said.
        Thanks.

        All Best,
        Amy

      • Elaine
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
          > Hi, of course we consume things. Or more acuratly we
          > eat them, listen to them, protect ourselves with them,
          > but "consumerism" is has to do with producing for
          > profit. Well actually that is the way I meant it. Then
          > we just consume for the sake of consuming or in other
          > words because some celebraty says we need it, because
          > the Jones are the centre of attention because they
          > have something that we don't. That's what I meant.
          > Best, Amy

          Have thought a great deal lately of "Consumerism".
          Yes, it is an "ism", a fundamental principal to ensure
          the masses are always dependent upon the system.
          Where once, human need created interest, the powers that
          be have inspired interest to create a need. They have reversed
          the principal. Media/advertising brainwashes by continual
          representation. In the vast majority of cases, the need is a
          total delusion, for once acquired possessions often stand
          dormant after an initial period of use. It is not that these possessions
          are not useful, but rather there is not a need for their usefulness.
          Regardless, the system is maintained, for the workers must continue
          to work to either replace inferior productions or possess newly created
          items for possession. It is not about human beings having possession, but
          rather human beings owned/possessed by way of maintaining their interest
          in a need to possess, where the possessions themselves become meaningless.

          Love & Massive Hugs
          Elaine
        • Amy Wing
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
            Hi Elaine, Well put! I also think that this system,
            consumerism, keeps us dependendent by creating needs
            instead of satisfying them. I absolutly agree with
            you. It has been a while since I have read the book,
            but De Beauvoir decribes the main protagonist in her
            novel "The Blood Others" as not seeming to need
            anything material. He never even really eats. I don't
            want to give away anything for anyone who has not read
            it, but a woman who indulges her desires at every turn
            becomes very attracted to him, creating a tension in
            the novel. Like I said, I don't want to give the plot
            away, because it is a goody, I just wanted to say that
            Simone addresses this issue of need vs desire very
            directly in her book.

            Love and hugs right back at ya,

            Amy
            Our --- Elaine <lizral@...> wrote: >

            > > Hi, of course we consume things. Or more acuratly
            > we
            > > eat them, listen to them, protect ourselves with
            > them,
            > > but "consumerism" is has to do with producing for
            > > profit. Well actually that is the way I meant it.
            > Then
            > > we just consume for the sake of consuming or in
            > other
            > > words because some celebraty says we need it,
            > because
            > > the Jones are the centre of attention because they
            > > have something that we don't. That's what I meant.
            > > Best, Amy
            >
            > Have thought a great deal lately of "Consumerism".
            > Yes, it is an "ism", a fundamental principal to
            > ensure
            > the masses are always dependent upon the system.
            > Where once, human need created interest, the powers
            > that
            > be have inspired interest to create a need. They
            > have reversed
            > the principal. Media/advertising brainwashes by
            > continual
            > representation. In the vast majority of cases, the
            > need is a
            > total delusion, for once acquired possessions often
            > stand
            > dormant after an initial period of use. It is not
            > that these possessions
            > are not useful, but rather there is not a need for
            > their usefulness.
            > Regardless, the system is maintained, for the
            > workers must continue
            > to work to either replace inferior productions or
            > possess newly created
            > items for possession. It is not about human beings
            > having possession, but
            > rather human beings owned/possessed by way of
            > maintaining their interest
            > in a need to possess, where the possessions
            > themselves become meaningless.
            >
            > Love & Massive Hugs
            > Elaine

          • Leon McQuaid
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
              which book are you refering to Amy?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
                Hi, It is called "The Blood Of Others", by Simone De
                Beauvoir. A very thought provoking novel. You'll love
                it! Cheers, Amy --- Leon McQuaid
                <leonpmcquaid@...> wrote: > which book are you
                refering to Amy?

              • loconito442 <loconito442@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2003
                  Hi Leon, I was just re-reading the point that you were making about
                  possesing and owning and actually I am argueing that you can posses
                  something, to use it, without owning it. Thanks, Amy--- In

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2003
                    Can you read Plato�s Theaetetus?

                    David
                    --- "loconito442 <loconito442@...>"

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • praxistence@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 8, 2003
                      What we're calling consumerism is just one element of what Sartre called the
                      mediation of matter by men. People are materialist in the sense that we carry
                      out our lives through the mediation of matter, whether it's ekeing out a
                      subsistence existence, using the PC to communicate, or the extreme
                      conspicuous consumption.

                      I suppose in the same fashion that Sartre thought people should look
                      "ordinary," he also believed that we had little choice but to consume;
                      however, I suspect that this consumerism should be likewise ordinary,
                      although in the past 20 years, owning a computer is an example of ordinary
                      consumption.

                    • Helen Brady
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
                        ‘In the past 20 years, owning a computer is an example of ordinary
                        consumption.’ I must add - not only do I feel privileged to access the
                        computer I am also aware that within some regions there are pockets of
                        depravation where individuals may, or may not, have a poor credit record
                        and where primary employment seems unobtainable - where crime is rife
                        and computers are bought and sold on the black market. Is this ordinary
                        consumption?
                        Antonio Gramsci, and others, as I have just read, view consumerism,
                        materialism etc. as extending from the manipulation of a cumulating
                        party who are the creators of universalisation ie: the Bourgeois. A more
                        accurate explanation would be found under Hegemonic theory.
                        Great to have the time to read so many interesting
                        opinions – thank you - Helen.

                      • phil572002 <phil572002@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                          --- In Sartre@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Brady" <helen@b...> wrote:
                          > `In the past 20 years, owning a computer is an example of ordinary
                          > consumption.' I must add - not only do I feel privileged to access
                          the
                          > computer I am also aware that within some regions there are pockets
                          of
                          > depravation where individuals may, or may not, have a poor credit
                          record
                          > and where primary employment seems unobtainable - where crime is
                          rife
                          > and computers are bought and sold on the black market. Is this
                          ordinary
                          > consumption?
                          > Antonio Gramsci, and others, as I have just read, view consumerism,
                          > materialism etc. as extending from the manipulation of a cumulating
                          > party who are the creators of universalisation ie: the Bourgeois. A
                          more
                          > accurate explanation would be found under Hegemonic theory.
                          > Great to have the time to read so many interesting
                          > opinions – thank you - Helen.

                          Well, who is «bourgeois» and who is not?in my opinion
                          we are all bourgeois , me in Canada and you in Great Britain ,
                          in the eyes of the peasant in Latin America, for example.