Fwd: Re: [Sartre] Re: Nietzsche and "Yes"

  • Josh@orangeboxman.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      Ok, then... consumerism is a bit of a misnomer.

      "Consumer" actually means "buyer" or at least
      "acquirer". Consuming that which is acquired, though
      seems to be encouraged. That's one reason that products
      have planned obsolescence built in.
      Certainly consuming goods that have little other
      function, such as tobacco, would not be the best
      example of consumerism, because the goods are of
      a limited utility by their very nature.
      I suggest that, because consumer culture encourages
      waste, patterns of consumption that produce waste
      are the better examples of consumerism; if you throw
      out your Pepsi because it has passed its freshness
      date (remember when they tried to get us to do that?)
      you'll buy more Pepsi. The point of "consuming" it is
      neither to drink it nor save it, but simply to buy it.
      Moreover, consumerism is exemplified not by a tendency to
      use things up (although that helps) or to accumulate things
      (which is an implied goal, but counterintuitively counter-
      consumerism) but by the tendency to acquire things at a rate
      that exceeds their normal utility attrition rate;
      TO REPLACE WHAT WE WASTE (and to waste in order to replace).

      "Give me convenience or give me death!"
      -the Dead Kennedys