more on consumerism

  • Leon McQuaid
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2002
      I like this 'lack' concept. It is very much what Nietzsche and Sartre
      try to give in the secular, and ofcourse what religion(tries to)give. I've
      been thinking much about Nietzsche's ascetic ideals, and I beleive that what
      N calls the ´┐Żbermench, and Sartre calls living an actual existance have at
      base a "Yes saying" approach to life. Religion says "no" buy denying the
      senses for example. I think that this has been heard loud and clear in the
      west. But the reaction is just as bad. I read a passage in Ecce Hommo,
      that whent something like, modern man reads not to enlighten himself but to
      drown out his own voice in the voices of others, and that modern readers
      consumes so much without digesting, that all he gets is a sore stomach.
      I take this as a metaphore for what I have been trying to place my finger
      on in consumer culture. The consumer is supposed to find sadisfaction in
      consumption. But does one eat so fast to acquire sadisfaction, or only not
      to taste what one eats? To me consumer culture is a pathetic backlash from
      an over religious society. In rejecting what was once moral, it seems
      enstead of using reason to overcome morality, we have merily made the
      immoral moral. Greed, gluttony, lust, waith, these are now "natural" and
      virtuious.

      I am reminded of a line in a rap video "ain't no shame if you're ahead of
      the game"... I suppose this is the new capitalist morality. I friend of
      mine said that "wouldn't Nietzsche approve of this... afterall he belives
      shaming someone to be the biggest sin of all." The funny thing is that it
      implies that 1. being 'behind' in the game is shameful, and 2. life is a
      game distancing oneself from it is the proper way to cope with it (this is a
      new form of ascetics).

      I see our society emersed in a diachotomy of ascetics and consumerism (maybe
      they are the same), both are models of unhealthy behavior, but we seem to
      think that there is only one or the other, both say "no" to the world.
      Health is neither.
      We must not deny the senses by depriving ourselves of them, but at the same
      time give time for good digestion.

      http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf