Re: [Sartre] Anti-Americanism

    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 1, 2002
      Thank you Leon, I don't know what I'd do without you. You are absolutely certain about everything you say. You understand America completely. It's all about big cars, sunshine, lolly pops, hamburgers and homes in the suburbs, not to mention saving the world.

      Again, returning to Sartre's insightful observations of bigotry, Sartre points out that "The rational man growans as he gropes for the truth; he knows that his reasoning is no more than tentative, that other considerations may supervene to cast doubt on it. He never sees very clearly where he is going; he is 'open'; he may even appear to be hesistant." (Anti-Semite and Jew, p. 18) Not so the bigot, the anti-Semite or the anti-American, and apparently not so, Leon. He knows everything with certainly. No doubt he has spent years studying America, visiting it from coast to coast, getting to know its people intimately, and assiduously studying every aspect of its culture.

      As Sartre noted about Anti-Semitism, Hollander notes about Anti-Americanism "A new stage has been reached in the development of anti-Americanism when the United States and all things American are identified with a religiously defined, transcendent Evil and not merely with social injustice, moral corruption, economic exploitation, or the abuse of power as used to be the case until recently.'Inauthenticity' is a key component of the criticism directed at American society and culture both at home and abroad. It is linked to spiritual emptiness and more specifically to mass culture, the consumer ethos, the fraudulence associated with commerce, the pursuit of profit, and capitalist competiveness.[it is noteworthy that these were also all charges laid against the Jews by anti-Semites]. In our times, similar anti-American sentiments generate protests against McDonald's and Wal-Mart, 'ticky-tacky' houses in the suburbs, the omnipresence of plastics, or the difficulty of finding organic produce in the nearest supermarkets..Complaints about inauthenticity and standardization illuminate the romantic, individualistic components of what (I call) cultural anti-Americanism.. ("The politics of envy", by Paul Hollander, The New Criterion, Nov. 2002, pp. 16-17).

      One more example.
      Leon stated:
      >>America has always seperated its self from the rest of the world. <<

      Sartre pointed out "Thus the Jew remains the stranger, the intruder, the unassimilated.But the Jew's enemies will immediately say that the bond is ethnic, and he himself, at a loss how to designate it, will perhaps use the word race. Then at one stroke he has justified the anti-Semite: 'You see very well that there is a Jewish race; they recognize it themselves, and besides they crowd together everywhere. .Thus the anti-Semite wins on all counts. In a word, the Jew, an intruder.is compelled to remain isolated." (Anti-Semite and Jew, p. 83-85.)

      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 11, 2002
        However, to obsess over "consumer culture," as do the majority of American
        critics (even the rabidly pro-American ones: see the bubbleheads on the Fox
        News Channel) is also to ignore Sartre's very important theory of practical
        groups, which, as Laing & Esterson cite in their "Sanity, Madness & Family,"
        examines the discontinuity betw. praxis (what individuals that comprise
        groups do) & process (what the group or group observers sees the group do).

        Not that critics or observers should be taken to task for not knowing Sartre.
        Our logical positivist philosophy refuses that very discontinuity; in other
        words, the standard American & Western-Euro view is that there cannot
        possibly be any discontinuity betw. what individuals do & what the group
        accomplishes. It doesn't make "sense."

        So, as far as our dominant world affairs policy, we see "terrorism" as the
        amorphous mass that, for whatever reason, the terrorists see themselves
        (maybe to the degree to which they've been, however much they deny it,
        "Westernized"). In fact, such a view is really a matter of convenience, since
        it allows some to wage war against an entire philosophical entity, rather
        than a political or geographical one.

        But what interests me more about this discontinuity project is that almost at
        the same time Sartre was developing his theory, the Palo Alto project
        (Bateson et al.) was developing its logical typing theory (discontinuity
        betw. set & element: from Russell & Whitehead) with regard to schizophrenia.
        I don't know yet of anyone that's commented on that.