Sartre on value

  • Marina
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hello everyody,
      my name is Marina and I am doing last year of Philosophy in Buenos Aires
      Uniersity (Argentina). I want to write a paper on value in Sartre, (doing
      some relations with Nietzsche, Heidegger and Sscheler). Could someone advise
      me some texts / bibliography for this subject?
      Best wishes
      Marina
    • Stephen Cowley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2002
        Dear Marina,

        Some classic English language texts are:
        Sartre - Existentialism & humanism (translation of Existentialism est-il un
        humanisme?)
        What is Existentialism? - William Barrett
        Existentialism from Dostoevski to Sartre - (ed) Walter Kaufman
        Existentialism - Mary Warnock
        Sartre - Iris Murdoch

        These are fairly old, but fairly clear and short. I seem to remember that
        Nausea and the plays gave you an intuitive understanding. Obviously Being &
        Nothingness is the most authoritative source, though it doesn't get round to
        value till later on. You'll find modern French sources at
        http://www.alapage.com Good luck with your writing.

        All the best
        Stephen

        > my name is Marina and I am doing last year of Philosophy in Buenos Aires
        > Uniersity (Argentina). I want to write a paper on value in Sartre, (doing
        > some relations with Nietzsche, Heidegger and Sscheler). Could someone
        advise
        > me some texts / bibliography for this subject?
        > Best wishes
        > Marina
      • Marina
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2002
          Thanks Stephen,
          I am reading Being and Nothingness now. When I begin to write, I wil tell
          you how I am doing.
          Greetings