Re: [Sartre] Re: New stepping stones

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
      > From a purely existential standpoint, the emphasis is upon the fate
      > of the individual, while being modified by scientific advances
      > still remains grounded to basic primordial conditions; that is to
      > say, in our Being, we remain the Beings who are 1.) a self,
      > 2.) with others and 3.) in-the-world. These underlying
      > foundations are not eliminated by scientific advancement.

      Sorry i have to disagree. Man sees himself in relation to others, to things
      in the world, to nature and to the Cosmos. With major advancements in
      scientific understanding of these things, man perception of him/her self
      alters.

      > The same old problems still exist; people won't think for themself,
      > won't live sympathetic or empathetic lives of connecting, still won't
      > accept their own projecting possibilities and uniqueness to freedom,
      > and will learn an entirely new way of 'thinking inside the box'.

      Unfortunately, i agree with u on this one lol.

      > What is needed today is not a grand social theory, but a radical
      > individualism theory on the authentic-self. In other words, an
      > existential theory that enables the individual to overcome the
      > domination of the mass movements; freeing the individual to
      > recognize their own freedom; through the various modes of
      > liberation that are grasped in the individual's own life; through
      > authentic communion, authentic individual uniqueness, and the power
      > of ones own creative liberation, to think outside the scope of the
      > familiar, proper, accepted, feasible and attainable limitations of
      > the-they-world.

      and i totally agree with u here ;))

      Love & Hugs
      Elaine
    • decker150
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
        Yes your point is correct, "man's perception of him/herself
        alters"; but this refers to my point on "being modified" by the
        advancement; but the foundation remains the same, unchanged, and
        thankfully; because, there are these underlying constants in our life.
        I can wake up on any given day and still find that I am still the
        Being whose being-is-a-self. I am still with others and still in the
        world. These are not eliminated. And I agree with your point that
        our perception changes. I understand this is both authentic change
        and also more propoganda from the-they. The point is,
        existentially, hermeneutic clarity lies in the
        underlying primordial foundation. We can always come
        back to that as the reference point for authenticity.

        Smiles - Joe

        Elaine said: "Man sees himself in relation to others, to things in the