Re: [Sartre] Re: New stepping stones

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
      > From a purely existential standpoint, the emphasis is upon the fate
      > of the individual, while being modified by scientific advances
      > still remains grounded to basic primordial conditions; that is to
      > say, in our Being, we remain the Beings who are 1.) a self,
      > 2.) with others and 3.) in-the-world. These underlying
      > foundations are not eliminated by scientific advancement.

      Sorry i have to disagree. Man sees himself in relation to others, to things
      in the world, to nature and to the Cosmos. With major advancements in
      scientific understanding of these things, man perception of him/her self
      alters.

      > The same old problems still exist; people won't think for themself,
      > won't live sympathetic or empathetic lives of connecting, still won't
      > accept their own projecting possibilities and uniqueness to freedom,
      > and will learn an entirely new way of 'thinking inside the box'.

      Unfortunately, i agree with u on this one lol.

      > What is needed today is not a grand social theory, but a radical
      > individualism theory on the authentic-self. In other words, an
      > existential theory that enables the individual to overcome the
      > domination of the mass movements; freeing the individual to
      > recognize their own freedom; through the various modes of
      > liberation that are grasped in the individual's own life; through
      > authentic communion, authentic individual uniqueness, and the power
      > of ones own creative liberation, to think outside the scope of the
      > familiar, proper, accepted, feasible and attainable limitations of
      > the-they-world.

      and i totally agree with u here ;))

      Love & Hugs
      Elaine
    • decker150
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
        From a purely existential standpoint, the emphasis is upon the fate
        of the individual, while being modified by scientific advances
        still remains grounded to basic primordial conditions; that is to
        say, in our Being, we remain the Beings who are 1.) a self,
        2.) with others and 3.) in-the-world. These underlying
        foundations are not eliminated by scientific advancement.
        They may be modified, but then this contributes often to
        the encroachment of inauthentic modes of being; tendencies
        towards greater demystification, uniformity,
        predictability, news ways to seperate, divide and strangle global
        communion, throwing the masses into standardization, more people start
        acting cow-like, and a new breed of 'the-they' emerge to level down
        the possibilties to only the possibilities thought of by the-they.

[...]

        Joe

        --- In Sartre@y..., "Elaine" <lizral@o...> wrote:
        > All Philosophers transcend the world of sense to define reason. I
        believe
        > new stepping stones in philosophical thought will be placed by
        conjoining
        > latest scientific discoveries and reason.
        >
        > Love & Hugs
        > Elaine
      • decker150
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
          Yes your point is correct, "man's perception of him/herself
          alters"; but this refers to my point on "being modified" by the
          advancement; but the foundation remains the same, unchanged, and
          thankfully; because, there are these underlying constants in our life.
          I can wake up on any given day and still find that I am still the
          Being whose being-is-a-self. I am still with others and still in the
          world. These are not eliminated. And I agree with your point that
          our perception changes. I understand this is both authentic change
          and also more propoganda from the-they. The point is,
          existentially, hermeneutic clarity lies in the
          underlying primordial foundation. We can always come
          back to that as the reference point for authenticity.

          Smiles - Joe

          Elaine said: "Man sees himself in relation to others, to things in the