Re: [Sartre] New stepping stones

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
      All Philosophers transcend the world of sense to define reason. I believe
      new stepping stones in philosophical thought will be placed by conjoining
      latest scientific discoveries and reason.

      Love & Hugs
      Elaine
    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
        > From a purely existential standpoint, the emphasis is upon the fate
        > of the individual, while being modified by scientific advances
        > still remains grounded to basic primordial conditions; that is to
        > say, in our Being, we remain the Beings who are 1.) a self,
        > 2.) with others and 3.) in-the-world. These underlying
        > foundations are not eliminated by scientific advancement.

        Sorry i have to disagree. Man sees himself in relation to others, to things
        in the world, to nature and to the Cosmos. With major advancements in
        scientific understanding of these things, man perception of him/her self
        alters.

        > The same old problems still exist; people won't think for themself,
        > won't live sympathetic or empathetic lives of connecting, still won't
        > accept their own projecting possibilities and uniqueness to freedom,
        > and will learn an entirely new way of 'thinking inside the box'.

        Unfortunately, i agree with u on this one lol.

        > What is needed today is not a grand social theory, but a radical
        > individualism theory on the authentic-self. In other words, an
        > existential theory that enables the individual to overcome the
        > domination of the mass movements; freeing the individual to
        > recognize their own freedom; through the various modes of
        > liberation that are grasped in the individual's own life; through
        > authentic communion, authentic individual uniqueness, and the power
        > of ones own creative liberation, to think outside the scope of the
        > familiar, proper, accepted, feasible and attainable limitations of
        > the-they-world.

        and i totally agree with u here ;))

        Love & Hugs
        Elaine
      • decker150
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
          Hi Elaine.

          I have been wondering, it seems that existentialism needs some new
          stepping stones. This I would take to be new ideas. Has the subject
          been exhausted by the old philosophers that are no longer with us in
          the world. Heidegger and Sartre are dead. Does anyone know who the
          current leading existentialist (living) is and still philosophizing.

          Has existentialism more or less bottomed out (??)

          Joe

          --- In Sartre@y..., "Elaine" <lizral@o...> wrote:

          > > "To be a real philosopher all that is necessary is to add another
          stepping
          > stone to philosophical thought"
          >
          > Love & Hugs
          > Elaine
        • decker150
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
            From a purely existential standpoint, the emphasis is upon the fate
            of the individual, while being modified by scientific advances
            still remains grounded to basic primordial conditions; that is to
            say, in our Being, we remain the Beings who are 1.) a self,
            2.) with others and 3.) in-the-world. These underlying
            foundations are not eliminated by scientific advancement.
            They may be modified, but then this contributes often to
            the encroachment of inauthentic modes of being; tendencies
            towards greater demystification, uniformity,
            predictability, news ways to seperate, divide and strangle global
            communion, throwing the masses into standardization, more people start
            acting cow-like, and a new breed of 'the-they' emerge to level down
            the possibilties to only the possibilities thought of by the-they.

            The same old problems still exist; people won't think for themself,
            won't live sympathetic or empathetic lives of connecting, still won't
            accept their own projecting possibilities and uniqueness to freedom,
            and will learn an entirely new way of 'thinking inside the box'.

            What is needed today is not a grand social theory, but a radical
            individualism theory on the authentic-self. In other words, an
            existential theory that enables the individual to overcome the
            domination of the mass movements; freeing the individual to
            recognize their own freedom; through the various modes of
            liberation that are grasped in the individual's own life; through
            authentic communion, authentic individual uniqueness, and the power
            of ones own creative liberation, to think outside the scope of the
            familiar, proper, accepted, feasible and attainable limitations of
            the-they-world.

            Joe

            --- In Sartre@y..., "Elaine" <lizral@o...> wrote:
            > All Philosophers transcend the world of sense to define reason. I
            believe
            > new stepping stones in philosophical thought will be placed by
            conjoining
            > latest scientific discoveries and reason.
            >
            > Love & Hugs
            > Elaine
          • decker150
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
              Yes your point is correct, "man's perception of him/herself
              alters"; but this refers to my point on "being modified" by the
              advancement; but the foundation remains the same, unchanged, and
              thankfully; because, there are these underlying constants in our life.
              I can wake up on any given day and still find that I am still the
              Being whose being-is-a-self. I am still with others and still in the
              world. These are not eliminated. And I agree with your point that
              our perception changes. I understand this is both authentic change
              and also more propoganda from the-they. The point is,
              existentially, hermeneutic clarity lies in the
              underlying primordial foundation. We can always come
              back to that as the reference point for authenticity.

              Smiles - Joe

              Elaine said: "Man sees himself in relation to others, to things in the