RE: Re: Existence preceding essence?

  • Russell, J. Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 3:58 PM
      "esperanto" said:

      We exist. This is the story up to our death. At that point
      we (to
      paraphrase) 'become what we are and cease to be what we are
      not' (the
      original quote is from the other side of death if you dig my
      drift ie
      'Man is what he is not and is not what he is')

      Bad faith is, in a way, an attempt to die a little bit
      early; to
      acquire an essence before this is possible.

      Michael Russell says:
      Nicely put! And it brings out why the sort of 'god' we want
      to be is impossible. Even if we were immortal we'd have to make choices,
      and our 'being' would still be unsettled. There's another reason why I
      can't understand what it would be for me not to exist.

      "esperanto" said:

      Indeed i have sometimes thought that mailing lists may be
      another
      example of a being which is 'pour-soi' but i doubt anyone
      will want
      to pick up on that one.

      To which Michael Russell says:
      Interesting. On the face of it our email posts are no
      different from anything else we do, or say, which immediately reveals
      ourselves to the Other while being, in a way, inapprehensible to ourselves.
      But there's something about the medium that seems to foster fear and
      flaming, perhaps because we are more vulnerable with an email message
      quickly fired off than with a manuscript that is carefully edited, or the
      spoken word which, I suppose, seems less permanent. As for membership in a
      list as illustrating how one is what one is not, and is not what one is, one
      can be a non-participating list member-- a mere on-lurker.

      Cheers.