Re: [Sartre] hi class

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2002
      > I learned in my Existential psychology class that
      > existentialism is a mature philospophy. In other
      > words, issues relevant to existentialism typically
      > rear their heads in one's middle age. Not always, of
      > course,because people of any age confront these basic
      > life issues.

      Perhaps because we are born into chaos but only acknowledge the chaos after
      reflection of having experienced/lived it.

      Love & Hugs
      Elaine
    • Debby Coley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
        I agree completely Elaine and thanks! By putting the
        symbolic garb of words onto concepts such as the
        absurd, meaningless, meaning, existence, etc, one can
        address the issues head on, they become easier to
        digest. These "things" exist in themselves and my
        recognition of them increases my understanding of
        reality. My awakening to their existence is
        fundamental in bridging my "book knowledge" into a
        fuller and richer "understanding".

        I have experiennced the chaos, as Elaine beautifully
        points out. I apologize for sounding overly
        pedestrian but I often grapple with finding adequate
        words in which to dress the concepts. I have the
        understanding, the lived nature of which we speak and
        I find myself nodding in agreement when I read
        passages of Sartre that align with my experiences and
        thoughts on the ideas he addresses.
        Thanks all once again for guiding me as I stumble
        along the path. The explications I find on these posts
        increase my appreciation for Sartre to a higher level.
        All of you are great teachers :D
        debby

        http://sbc.yahoo.com