RE: [Sartre] Digest Number 162

  • BOURTON, SAM
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2000
      Michael,

      I think the sense in which Camus meant the silence of the world is
      "unreasonable" was *pre* the disavowel of the spirit of seriousness.
      But you're absolutely right, someone for whom this silence appears
      unreasonable would clearly be guilty of adopting the spirit of seriousness.

      It reminds me of an old lecturer of mine who was an expert in Eastern
      philosophy. She gave me the following Buddhist saying:

      "The heavens send the wind and the rain without choosing between the
      withering and the thriving".

      When I asked her how the sense of this saying strikes a Budhist, i.e., does
      he judge this fact unfair or unreasonable, she replied "No, it just IS."