Janus Head 5.1 -- Knowing Subjects: Human Lives, Human Worlds

  • janushead.geo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002
      JANUS HEAD 5.1

      SPRING 2002

      KNOWING SUBJECTS:
      HUMAN LIVES, HUMAN WORLDS

      Selected essays from
      The George Washington University's
      7th Annual Conference in the Human Sciences

      EDITORIALS

      Brent Dean Robbins, Co-editor
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/Editorial1.cfm

      Andrea Custodi, Conference Organizer
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/Editorial2.cfm

      ESSAYS

      Lewis R. Gordon:
      "Making Science Reasonable: Peter Caws
      on Science Both Human and 'Natural'"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/Gordon.cfm

      David Theo Goldberg:
      "Post-Racial States"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/goldberg.cfm

      Virginia Held:
      "Feminist Moral Inquriy: The Role of Experience"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/held.cfm

      Jonathan D. Moreno,
      "Fiduciary Knowledge and Moral Consensus in Bioethics"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/moreno.cfm

      John R. Wright:
      "A Plea for Acknowledgment:
      Reflections on Finding Human Reasons for Moral Action"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/wright.cfm

      Linda Belau:
      "The Hermeneutics of Psychoanalysis
      (Trauma, Repetition, and the Signifier)"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/belau.cfm

      Brent Dean Robbins:
      "Lacan: The Limits of Love and Knowledge"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/robbins.cfm

      Julie Reiser:
      "The Autobiography of Consciousness and
      the New Cognitive Existentialism"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/reiser.cfm

      Kristana Arp:
      "Founding an Existential Ethics:
      Sartre's Existentialism is a Humanism Revisited"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/arp.cfm

      Stuart Umpleby:
      "Should Knowledge of Management Be
      Organized as Theories or as Methods?"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/umpleby.cfm

      John Rudisill:
      "Towards a Reclamation of Substantive Liberalism"
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/rudisill.cfm

      Contributor Biographies
      http://www.janushead.org/5-1/contributors.cfm

      ~*~*~*~

      COMING IN FALL 2002

      Janus Head 5.2,
      A special issue on Magical Realism
      featuring the work of Michael Wood, Lois Parkinson-Zamora,
      Wendy B. Faris, and many others.

      ~*~*~*~

      CALL FOR PAPERS:

      Janus Head is now accepting submissions for the Fall 2003
      edition (6.1), which will be an open issue.

      For guidelines, see the "Submissions" page:
      http://www.janushead.org/jhguidelines.cfm

      ~*~*~*~

      JANUS HEAD RECOMMENDS

      Two new publications by Robert D. Romanyshyn:

      WAYS OF THE HEART:
      Essays Toward an Imaginal Psychology
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971367116/janushead

      "Each of the essays of this book explores the intricacies of
      the currents of the heart, developing the vocabulary for one's
      own voice rather than the speaking for soul that characterizes
      most psychology. The life of the soul in this book shines through
      the intersecting labyrinths of phenomenology, depth psychology,
      and poetry. Perhaps the most important of the disciplines for
      this work is phenomenology because it assures that our author
      never falls into theorizing about the world but is committed to
      letting the inner qualities of the things of the world speak for
      themselves. The fundamental tenant of this book is that we are
      here to learn to listen."

      Robert Sardello, Director, The School of Spiritual Psychology

      "Every time I read the work of Robert Romanyshyn I am
      touched by his honesty, imagination, originality and depth of
      vision. His psychological insight and poetic sensibility
      resonate with the force and profundity of a man who lives
      a full and soulful life."

      Stanton Marlon, Ph.D., ABPP
      Director, C.G. Jung Institute Analyst Training Program
      of Pittsburgh, and Author and editor of
      "Salt and the Alchemical Soul" and
      "Fire in the Stone: The Alchemy of Desire"

      MIRROR AND METAPHOR:
      Images and Stories of Psychological Life
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971367108/janushead

      "This brilliant and lucid book, now available in the second
      edition, takes us into genuinely new territory. It revises our
      ideas of psychology and science, and it offers original thoughts
      on metaphor. It is a text thwich anyone seriously itnerested in
      the broader reaches of psychology should read, and from
      which every reader will profit."

      Edward S. Casey,
      Professor of Philosophy, SUNY at Stony Brook

      "In this provocative book, Robert Romanyshyn writes of
      metaphor with the precision and sensitivity of both philosopher
      and poet. His argument for the essentially paradoxical nature
      of experience is a powerful antidote to the literalism of our
      day."

      Louise Cowan,
      Professor Emeritus of Literature, University of Dallas

      "There are less than a handful of individuals who have the
      capacity to bring truly creative thought to the field of
      psychology and whose writing on the subject is both original
      and therapeutic. Robert Romanyshyn is one of those
      individuals. His writing keeps soul open, flexible, mobile, and
      able to resonate with depth."

      Robert Sardello,
      Author of "Love and the World"

      "Romanyshyn explores the assumptions regarding person,
      others, body, and world, that are the cornerstones of
      scientific psychology, and he compellingly dissolves these in
      terms of the metaphors of our cultural history. In doing so he
      articulates the irreducibly metaphorical character of
      psychological life and opens the possibility of a
      phenomenological depth psychology. This little book is a
      classic in phenomenological psychology and metabletics;
      it is essential reading for anyone concerned with the meaning
      and direction of psychology."

      Roger Brooke, Ph.D.
      Professor of Psychology, Duquesne University,
      and author of "Jung and Phenomenology"

      ~*~*~*~

      Thank you,
      The Editors