Re: [Sartre] Re: Sartre and Surface Sanity

  • LuckyEnid@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2000
      In a message dated 5/18/00 11:25:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      exxistentialist@... writes:

      << Hi! I just wanted to ask: to say that every word means something
      implies that there is a 'something' that every word is referring to.
      This something is our perception of reality. So language becomes a
      collection of 'signs' that refer to our perception of reality. Now,
      if all this is correct then i really dont understand language as
      being a defense against reality.

      Later!
      J >>

      Although I really don't know, I would guess that language would be a defense
      against reality because we can hide behind it. We can see the words, the
      symbols, but we ignore the real thing. That seems pretty obvious; maybe
      there is more implied there. I guess I would compare it to rituals--we often
      get caught up in the tradition and forget the reason for it.
      Greta Hansen