Re: Sartre and Surface Sanity

  • exxistentialist@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2000
      > The conclusion is obvious. Language and our beliefs are defenses
      against
      > reality. Without them, our lives become disordered, unstable, and
      irrational.
      > The insane frighten us, because deep down, we know that their
      worldview is
      > closer to reality than our own. They remind us that if we stop
      lying to
      > ourselves, we will enter a terrifying chaos.

      Hi! I just wanted to ask: to say that every word means something
      implies that there is a 'something' that every word is referring to.
      This something is our perception of reality. So language becomes a
      collection of 'signs' that refer to our perception of reality. Now,
      if all this is correct then i really dont understand language as
      being a defense against reality.

      Later!