The Meaning of Meaning

  • decker150
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2002
      One of Sartre's points was that we come into a world that already has
      meaning conferred upon it. It is a world that is already populated,
      already named and interpreted, already defined and already explored.
      In the final mix, we have a world that is already saturated with
      meaning, which to me presents something of a major problem for the
      individual today who seeks his own freedom, who is unable to find any
      point of reference where he is not encroached upon by a flood of
      things to be understood and competing meanings.

      I think this has taken me on an inquiry to better understand the
      nature of meaning itself. I had always reduced it to being simply
      anything that could be understood; and of course we understand in a
      cognitive as well as affective way. We grasp the significance of
      things both through the reason as well as through our emotions.

      However, it is more my inclination to understand rationally, so I
      pursue meaning in the sense that I can understand things in a rational
      manner. I personally pay careful attention to the details and try to
      be as exact as I can on the subjects I am interested in.

      As a group, I would like to see more of the meticulous examination of
      Sartre's work, not so much overviews, but amplications of single
      points from the large volumn of his work. I believe that here in this
      group are people just as smart as Sartre.

      Joe