Re: [Sartre] limitations on radical freedom caused by the essential realness of character

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2000
      Greg,

      >I think it may be misstating it to say, even casually, that
      > radical freedom in the Sartrean sense is the creation of your own universe.
      > Sartre was careful to avoid any hint of solipsism in his philosophy. He
      > would state radical freedom as being a situation where we always have and
      > always make a
      > choice, no matter how horrible or ridiculous the situation and range of
      > choices (hence the absurdity of existence).

      Thanks for putting me right there. I can see I was labouring under a
      misapprehension that Sartrean existentialism is equivalent to solipsism. I
      am more aware of the distinction now.

      On the other hand, I still wish to qualify the concept of radical freedom
      with the cumulative 'realness' of character that is formed by making radical
      choices.

      > there are, even, biological reasons why it becomes more difficult to radically
      > reinvent oneself -- but this
      > is neither to say it's impossible nor that it's never done.

      Yes, I tend to agree with this also. Radical re-invention of the self is
      always possible. But becomes more difficult as character forms. And, in the
      context of a society of other selfs, using the same language and also
      possessing the capacity for radical re-invention, sometimes untenable.

      Thanks for all the lively responses to this thread.

      tommy@...
      tel/fax. +44 (0)1862 842826
      community/business site - http://www.scoraig.com/
      Michael Hurley appreciation site - http://www.snock.com/