Re: Limitations on Freedom

  • Charles Vermont
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2000

      It seems to me that we all are not simply the sum of the choices we have open to us today, but are also the product of who we have chosen to be in the past. This is what I choose to call 'short term/long term'. It does not affect my freedom of choice but simply restricts my chances of success when I choose to try and do something. So if, today, I choose to try and earn my living as a nuclear physicist but have done no training in that discipline, I suspect my chances of success will be remote. If, however, I have chosen to spend the last 20 years studying that subject then I would hope my chances would be better. By analogy, if I have chosen to change my choices continually for the past 20 years then another change will probably be easier than if I have pursued an entirely rigid lifestyle.

      Does this stack up?

      Charles Vermont
      london.uk