limitations on radical freedom caused by the essential realness of character

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      Thanks for your responses,

      What I think I was trying to allude to is that, although Sartre was right to
      postulate radical freedom (ie. the freedom to create, by actively
      perceiving it, your own universe) there is a limit to that freedom caused by
      the essential 'realness' of character.

      Existentialism means that there are no snug, comforting, universal truths to
      which we can turn in times of stress and say, "Ah, thank goodness I don't
      have to think about that one". Such behaviour would be inauthentic and
      'mauvaise foi'.

      On the other hand, studies of 'character', in the existentialist school,
      have sometimes revealed it to be somehow real: if there is such a thing as
      inauthenticity there is also such a thing as authenticity, which would seem
      to be about as real as it gets. So if a person's character represents their
      'being' as opposed to nothingness, it follows that traits will be a real
      thing that causes the person unbearable anguish or may cause them to seek
      nothingness if they are placed in untenable positions (cf. Laing: Self and
      Others). Others inhabiting the same moral universe are the same - yet
      different - and each affects the others' behaviour.

      The limitations to radical (re)invention of the self that I envisage are
      factual, but they don't relate to external facts as much as the facts of
      that self's character. Those facts have been established as the result of
      character 'develops' it becomes increasingly limited in its ability for
      radical reinvention.

      Is this Sartrean heresy or doctrine?

      tommy@...
      tel/fax. +44 (0)1862 842826