RE: [Sartre] introduction

  • awhit@sprynet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
      I believe that in any given moment we do possess radical freedom; which is to say, in any
      given moment I can be a hero or a coward, altruistic or selfish. A person can even, in
      a moment's time (and in the heat of the moment), redeem, at least partially, a life time of cowardice by doing something brave. What Tommy Beavitt is, I think alluding to, is over a longer time frame. First of all, if I decide that I'm going to do a brave thing tomorrow I may well revert to my usual cowardice by the time tomorrow arrives. And, in a second sense, if I've been a cold,distant and unemotional person for my whole life it's going to be difficult (though in such a matter I don't think we can ever say impossible) for me to become a warm and caring person. And I think there's some truth in this, though it must be remembered that such a person has become so cold and distant because, in part, they've spent a whole lifetime choosing to be that way in the first place and may have, as such, willed away the tools they would need to be warm and caring. Also, just because it might be very difficult for such a person to become warm and caring per se (they may even lack the!
      social graces or behavorial repertoire to do so), this isn't to say that they can't become warmer and more caring.

      Greg