Re: [Sartre] Re: Choice and Action

  • s.jackson@bradford.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2002
      I haven't got time to go into this indetail but...
      Consider Moral Realism based on a naturalistic ethics. This may mean abandoning
      Sartre's rejection of human nature (not necessarily - it may have to be
      reformulated ie the idea of a 'project' could be the basis of such a human
      nature)
      Anyway there are facts about human needs: need for non-alienated work that
      satisfies us physically, intellectually and emotionally; the need for social,
      including sexual, relationships; need to be recognised as a human being; as
      well as basic need for food, clothes and shelter.
      Is it not immoral to deny these needs, don't they provide a basis for action in
      themselves???
      Moral Realism could maybe provide way out of relativism/absolutism problem. We
      need Moral Vision, ability to 'see' things from anothers point of view.
      cf. Music. Just cos you listen to Hip Hop doesn't mean you cannot appreciate
      Indian ragas. Your understanding of music from this point of view in no way
      diminishes your appreciation of Hip Hop (or whatever).
      Some questions
      What is relationship between aesthetics and ethics/ Is an emancipatory axiology
      possible? How might Sartre's project help understand this - obviously his
      aesthetics and ethics were intimately connected.

      Cheers

      Sam Jackson@...

      > <A
      > HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-
      Paul+Sartre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click
      > here to purchase books by Jean-Paul Sartre -in association with Amazon
      > (US).</A>
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      This mail sent through IMP: webmail.brad.ac.uk