Incurious Seekers - Website

  • tanios1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10 2:44 AM
      Hello everyone, Tommy,

      As you might have noticed i'm not a frequent poster on this list, but
      i've been working on my website, and i thought i'd share it with you.
      it contains fragments of my work, as a writer, architect and visual
      artist. there are a few pictures and a lot of text- and i would
      appreciate any comment both on the website itself (it's the first
      time i design one) and on the content. The work itself is not
      especially Sartrean, but it is political and critical (in fact it
      won't be difficult to discover the Benjamin influence), and very much
      concerned with the social and political structures of the post-war
      Lebanese 2nd Republic.
      so if i interrested you already, here's where to click:
      http://www.geocities.com/tanios1

      waiting for your comments,
      Tony Chakar,
      Beirut, Lebanon
    • maria
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11 2:40 AM
        I thought your website was very interesting. I
        thought it fell in line with the sympathies and
        political platform of existentialists who attempted
        through their work champion the cause of all oppressed
        peoples while remembering that all are equal and all
        have rights. Having said that, I feel that your site
        is very much your own artistic expression from your
        own perspective and your own situation even though it
        hints at attempts to investigate through a kind of
        psychology of images?????.....

        --- tanios1 <tanios1@...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone, Tommy,
        >
        > As you might have noticed i'm not a frequent poster
        > on this list, but
        > i've been working on my website, and i thought i'd
        > share it with you.
        > it contains fragments of my work, as a writer,
        > architect and visual
        > artist. there are a few pictures and a lot of text-
        > and i would
        > appreciate any comment both on the website itself
        > (it's the first
        > time i design one) and on the content. The work
        > itself is not
        > especially Sartrean, but it is political and
        > critical (in fact it
        > won't be difficult to discover the Benjamin
        > influence), and very much
        > concerned with the social and political structures
        > of the post-war
        > Lebanese 2nd Republic.
        > so if i interrested you already, here's where to
        > click:
        > http://www.geocities.com/tanios1
        >
        > waiting for your comments,
        > Tony Chakar,
        > Beirut, Lebanon

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • tanios1
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12 1:03 AM
          --- In Sartre@y..., maria <mariaberghs@y...> wrote:

          > I thought your website was very interesting. I
          > thought it fell in line with the sympathies and
          > political platform of existentialists who attempted
          > through their work champion the cause of all oppressed
          > peoples while remembering that all are equal and all
          > have rights. Having said that, I feel that your site
          > is very much your own artistic expression from your
          > own perspective and your own situation even though it
          > hints at attempts to investigate through a kind of
          > psychology of images?????.....

          Thanks Maria. I don't know about the 'in line with the
          existentialits' bit. not that i object to it, but it's just been a
          real long while since my last contact with existentialist
          litterature. in fact i read a lot of Sartre and Camus when i was 17
          years old- books that i found in the library of the Catholic school i
          was in. we had a really cool friar as librarian- as opposed to my
          cathechism class, where we were told that Sartre is 'an obssessed
          anti-catholic moron' (you don't want to know what they said about
          Marx). so in a way i was shaped by existentialist readings, and kind
          of lost track of things as time went by. this is one of the reasons i
          subscribed to this group.
          as for the work you saw, sure, it is very personal. but at the same
          time i'd like to think that it goes beyond that. else it wouldn't
          have meaning. this is probably going to sound naive but i believe in
          changing the world through things we do, including art- and i really
          dislike the kind of art which is solely intended as 'an expression of
          the deepest "feelings" of the artist'. after all, why should you or
          anyone else 'care' about what i 'feel'? and why should i throw my
          feelings in anybody's face- especially that if the people involved
          don't 'get it', the general attitude is to accuse them of
          insensitivity or stupidity or whatever. so is that all there is? I
          say there's more.

          Tony